Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Biggest lie in the history of mankind

I wasn't unfaithful to you Jo

chez
Old 09-13-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no logical or rational reason why meat should not be available in the supermarket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then where the [censored] is the logical or rational reason why cannibalism is wrong? I repeat my claim (from OP):either abusing both other animals and humans is wrong, or neither is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

is cannibalism wrong or is it just murder?

also, basically everyone agrees that abusing animals is wrong. people disagree on what constitutes abuse.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:39 PM

Sephus,
if morality is like tastes, then what's the problem with nazi-Germany and Jews (for example)?

If social norms are changing, but not necessarily improving, then isn't the change clearly random?

when I say "X is wrong" i'm saying "i have weighed the effects X has to everything it affects, and then come to conclusion that it causes more bad than good"
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then where the [censored] is the logical or rational reason why cannibalism is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is cannibalism wrong? I fiind the thought disgusting, and it's certainly illegal to kill another human for food, but is it wrong? I guess I don't know how to answer your question. If I was stranded on a mountain top with dead human bodies and I was dying of starvation, I don't think I'd hesitate, actually.

That, and I have yet to see Smoked Rump of Lucksack in the grocer's meat case.

[ QUOTE ]
I repeat my claim (from OP):either abusing both other animals and humans is wrong, or neither is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can claim whatever you like, but that doesn't mean you're right. And to me, your statement is a non sequitar. I don't think it follows that eating animals is abusing animals. An animal being eaten by another animal is simply a natural way for its life to end.

You keep talking about ethics. I still say ethics have nothing to do with it. Eating meat is not unethical, it's just food.

You may think eating meat is unethical, but it's just your opinion. You have an emotional attachment to animals that I don't have. I really don't care if you think it's unethical. To me, it isn't.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sephus,
if morality is like tastes, then what's the problem with eating feces?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if its a perfect analogy, but it sort of gets to my response. Whats wrong with it is that no one will tolerate it and we will risk our lives in order to stop it. It is bad for us. If we thought genocide and murder were ok, we'd all be dead. Or at least we would all be at constant war with everyone around us and we'd be close to starving and constantly suffering. Is this capital b Bad? Who cares? It sucks. Lets not do that. You with me?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sephus,
if morality is like tastes, then what's the problem with nazi-Germany and Jews (for example)?

[/ QUOTE ]

morality is not like tastes. morality is tastes. it's tastes for behavior.

you're asking why i find the holocaust so distasteful, but the irony is you want to know how i can find it distasteful given that i realize my distaste for it is not based on an objective standard! it doesn't matter.

[ QUOTE ]
If social norms are changing, but not necessarily improving, then isn't the change clearly random?

[/ QUOTE ]

we must have different ideas about what the word "random" means.

[ QUOTE ]
when I say "X is wrong" i'm saying "i have weighed the effects X has to everything it affects, and then come to conclusion that it causes more bad than good"

[/ QUOTE ]

and "bad" and "good" are expressions of taste, are they not? when you say "X causes bad" you're saying "X causes things i don't like" or "X causes things people don't like."
Old 09-13-2007, 04:57 PM

About cannibalism: I'm meaning a similar thing being done to people that is done to animals, which means breeding them for the purpose of keeping them as prisoners (in better prison than animals, to keep the suffering at similar level), not telling them they will eventually be killed for food and slaughtering when they have grown up (like age of 18 or whatever), and then eating.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM

incidentally, why shouldn't i do things that cause more bad than good?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, it can even be argued that humans are worth LESS than other animals, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're not as tasty, amirite?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About cannibalism: I'm meaning a similar thing being done to people that is done to animals

[/ QUOTE ]
You're taking this too far into left field -- I can't relate to it. The situation you describe is so unrealistic that I simply can't wrap my mind around it.

When the day comes that I see a human rump roast in the supermarket, I'll tell you how I feel then.