Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: I\'m going to get flamed: Day Job vs. Poker...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That steady 60k a year job with benefits sure won't seem so pointless once that happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're gonna talk about fantasy land... How many kids out of school make this kind of money?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not many right out of school, but the point is after 5-6 years of working experience and a degree, they are atleast somewhere near the ballpark. Whereas an ex-pro of 5-6 years who dropped out and busted his roll has no degree, and no resume aside from playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys being serious about this? If you don't at least make 50-60K out of college, you either didn't do enough or you majored in psychology (or equivalently useless major). It's all about working hard and building up that resume during college. If you sacrifice a bit of partying, obtaining a salary like that is cake. I didn't even go to a good university and I got hired at a very competitive firm during my junior year in college (getting that signing bonus during collge was so nice). It's not the degree that does the work, It's YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is so stupid. Many companies couldn't give two [censored] what your degree is. I'm a psych major and I make >>>>>> 60k a year out of college. Half of my friends are history majors and they all make >60k.

Conversely, I know plenty of people with degrees in engineering who work 40k a year jobs now.

If anything matters, it's not the degree you have but the school you went to. Even then, if you're a smart driven person, people can see that. Companies pretty much train you as they see fit these days so they're not going to turn down a brilliant kid because he didnt major in rocket science

And also, throwing around these salaries is kind of stupid, because that kid i know who makes 40k engineering makes almost 3x the hourly salary as my buddy who makes 100k a year ibanking for DB.

I know I personally would work 40 hr weeks for 40k in a heartbeat over working 110 hr weeks for 100k+
Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: I\'m going to get flamed: Day Job vs. Poker...

If your planning to grind 2/4NL for the rest of ur life.. keep ur dayjob ... if u have talent and can crush the nose bleed stakes or at least $25-$50NL (online) then wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ENJOY