Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: citanul cleaning bbv/b4l discussion/rants

[ QUOTE ]
So why not throw "gay" in there in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

tbqh, I think that 'gay' and 'retarded' are acceptable, although if you check really carefully, I've never called anything 'gay' over 10K posts either and yet have managed to be somewhat sarcastic when called upon

however, since the results of 48 HOURS OF DEATH were 17,000 yvesaint threads, you guys got citanul, who's not as nice.

enjoy!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Teetster,

Do you have an difficulty or inability to learn or comprehend or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I'm just trying to understand the parameters of the problem and your solution. What has been said "we're banning racism" and what's happening are two different things. I quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

"Racism (a belief system or doctrine which states that inherent biological differences between human races determine cultural or individual achievement) [1]

Some writers refer to racism as preference for one's own ethnic group (ethnocentrism), fear of foreigners (xenophobia), views against interracial relationships (miscegenation), and/or generalizations about a specific group of people (stereotype).[2][3]"

Almost NOTHING here now or in the past has been racist. I'm not a racist, and I don't defend true racism. However, claiming you're banning racism and really banning people who use race-related slang are two different things.

So, all I'm looking for is an explanation, in detail of what is acceptable or not. Therefore we can all properly understand and comply. Or, we can all bitch and moan and possibly get you to change what may be a poorly conceived and executed policy.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost NOTHING here now or in the past has been racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh okay, then there shouldn't be a problem with this policy
Old 02-22-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not make these forums only visible to logged in users and prevent Google from crawling them. This way it's "contained".

[/ QUOTE ]

or, we could ban racism

[/ QUOTE ]
retarded-relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development. (source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary)

Can you think of anyone you've played with whose skills fit this definition? I can. If you want to censor what people say, fine, but don't hide behind grandiose, BS statements like "We're banning racism" to justify this nonsense. The only thing you're banning are words and phrases that make you uncomfortable.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM

OSU: I dont think you get the problem. Posters saying Die in a Fire to every thread is bad, sure but can be dealt with by banning someone who does it a lot. But when you make a blanket rule about it, the first thing that will happen is an actual good poster will see the humor behind circumventing the rules and will do so. Then they need to be dealt with. The note on tone thing that gild did was fine, but he enforced it without regard to context too often, and more importantly he let the needling get under his skin and banned people for breaking his rules, rather than for being offensive.

Anyway, its funny that you are advocating ignoring things that you do not like in support for the heavy-handed cit modship.

And by funny I mean hypocritical and wrong.

--GA
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM

Teetster,

We are attempting to remove real racism and play racism both. Just because you think that something has become everyday vernacular doesn't mean that it has. Just because you think that "nigga plz" isn't racist doesn't mean that it is. Further, promoting the widespread use of such epithets undermines the arguments against real racists.

I am personally not very willing to negotiate on the "gay/ghey" stance, just as I'm not willing to negotiate on the racism stance, though I can continue to attempt to clarify.

On the "retarded" stance, there is ongoing discussion of whether or not my stance is reasonable considering that many actually mean "impaired learning or comprehension abilities" when they say retarded.

citanul
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM

andathar: What did you think would be the result of a OOT-like mass-culling on a forum that was often used as an alternative to OOT? Gentle and sweet logical acceptence, or BASTARD?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 PM

GA,

where do you think the mass culling is coming from?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the "retarded" stance, there is ongoing discussion of whether or not my stance is reasonable considering that many actually mean "impaired learning or comprehension abilities" when they say retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

from what I've read, pretty much always they mean the same thing as when they use gay/ghey, just as a synonym for "bad." moreover, that word is widely considered offensive and if people want to use it in the "websters dictionary" sense, there are plenty of non-offensive ways to do it.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:29 PM

whipsaw,

while i agree there are those who do not. even a bunch of mods.
Closed Thread