Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Stud 8 - do you peel here?

Say it's a high ante game and you complete on 3rd with (85)8 and an A and 2 behind you.

I think in a high ante game this may actually be correct... the one really bad situation is where the A raises and the 2 calls. Even heads up against AA you are not in too bad shape.

But anyway that's not the point of this post. Say you did complete and got the outcome stated above.

(1) Is it correct to call for the second bet on 3rd?

It feels like it is to me, because you can develop either low or high and you may be in good shape if both or either of your opponents brick.

(2) If you do call and the A catches an unsuited 6 but the 2 catches an unsuited 9, and you catch a live J, do you now call again behind the 9?

I know it's easy to say fold against an A6 but consider there is a lot of money in the pot and you are now at least ahead of the 29. If the 29 bricks again on 5th and you get some kind of marginal improvement you should be able to go to the river.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 - do you peel here?

1) I think it's correct to call the 2nd bet. Your opponents could catch bad, you could catch well. You may have to catch really well though.

2) If you're going to call 4th, would you also be willing to raise to knock out 29 if you're in position to do so?

If you're up against:
32 A6 - it's 50/50
62 A6 - it's 50/50
A2 A6 - it's 30/70

I'd say he most likely started with A2A, then A23, then 62A. I'd probably just fold (I said I want to catch well in #1), but I suck.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:33 PM

I think I should indeed have raised 4th. It's a mistake if you're up against AA but given the amount of money, probably not a huge one, and if he's on a low draw or a small pair getting heads up is a big gain.

As for his distribution, I would think he raises with any low draw on 3rd... maybe he just folds the one with an 8?

He can only be in bad shape with even A28 if the bringin calls too with a better low, which is pretty unlikely I think.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 AM

I call the raise on third but don't like it. If A6 bets and I've caught a Jack, I'm out of there. Either he's got a four-card low with an Ace or a pair of Aces, and my hand is a playing loser against either of those. I don't think it's a given that you're beating 92, and I don't think that having him in there is enough to swing this to a call.