Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Praise Jesus

Story

I mean, its explicit in the Bible that sodomy is wrong, right? Forget about all that 'everyone is a sinner and all sins are equal' business. Religion IS ruining this guy's life. Can you honestly say that oral sex would be considered a FELONY if the Bible didn't mention it? Preposterous.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Praise Jesus

Government =! religion.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Government =! religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. I am told all the time that our country was founded on Christianity, and that our laws were primarily founded on the Judeo-Christian belief system. And then we have the specific law in question, one that makes sodomy a felony while sex is only a misdemeanor. Had he simply ravaged her vagina and impregnated her, he'd be skipping around college right now.

Government != religion? Are you sure of that?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 PM

"Barker thinks five years is fair for receiving oral sex from a schoolmate."

And again, having vaginal sex with the same schoolmate is a misdemeanor.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh. I am told all the time that our country was founded on Christianity

[/ QUOTE ]

You were told wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certain.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huh. I am told all the time that our country was founded on Christianity

[/ QUOTE ]

You were told wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certain.

[/ QUOTE ]

You left out the middle part. You are going to tell me that the law which says that sex with <3 years difference is a misdemeanor but oral sex/sodomy <3 years difference is a felony is NOT based on the Bible? What could it possibly be based on then? What rational explanation could you give for a law like this?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:51 PM

It's an assinine law to be sure, but I fail to see what any of this story has to do with religion. Are you talking about when his mom asks, "What have I done to God to deserve this?".

If not, there are some incredibly stupid laws still on the books in most states (albeit most not enforced). Things like you can't comb your hair on Sundays type of thing. If I was one of those resourceful guys, I'd provide a linky.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are going to tell me that the law which says that sex with <3 years difference is a misdemeanor but oral sex/sodomy <3 years difference is a felony is NOT based on the Bible?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can point to the passage that recommends this I will concede your point.

[ QUOTE ]
What rational explanation could you give for a law like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

None whatsoever. And when you have a monopoly on the use of force you don't need rational explanations for anything.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's an assinine law to be sure, but I fail to see what any of this story has to do with religion. Are you talking about when his mom asks, "What have I done to God to deserve this?".

If not, there are some incredibly stupid laws still on the books in most states (albeit most not enforced). Things like you can't comb your hair on Sundays type of thing. If I was one of those resourceful guys, I'd provide a linky.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to do with religion because of Sodom. There is a taboo on sodomy, which includes oral, manual and anal sex, and this taboo was enacted into law because of the God-fearing folk of Georgia. There is no other reason for the disparity in penalties. Sex for procreation = good, sex for fun = bad.

And bills...of course I didn't say this was based on a CORRECT interpretation of the Bible. Simply that it clearly is based on one.

People ask all of the time, sure, this heinous act was perpetrated nominally for religious reasons, but wouldn't it have occurred anyway, even without religion? The answer in this case is a firm no.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM

What part of the Bible says that sex with <3 years difference should be considered a misdemeaner but oral sex/sodomy with <3 years difference should be considered a felony in the 21st century? I'd like to read up on it, as I don't recall ever coming across that in the Bible.

Maybe you think a statement from the Bible that implies "sodomy is wrong" should be applied equally to all people and all generations? This doesn't seem very useful to me, and this story illustrates why. Some people grossly misapply and misuse ancient scripture. It doesn't seem very constructive to me to blame a book when people do this.

I also don't know how you can infer this young man is in jail specifically because of Jesus (referring to your thread title). I mean, I understand it's probably convenient and all to blame religion for every little thing people do that is wrong. But it's pretty clearly inaccurate and incorrect to do so, no matter how much we all want to. I mean, I do know how you feel though. I had knee surgery recently and was on crutches, and this one time when I attended church those freaking Christians held the door for me and even offered up their seat so that I could be more comfortable. Damn those Christians and Jesus with their "treat others as you would want to be treated" mantra. Praise Jesus (and by that I mean har, har stupid religious people)! Later I stubbed my toe on a chair and I cursed the Bible because that's the only logical thing to do.

As a side note, I really hated how this article was written. It placed the blame for this horrendous situation in the hands of stupid legislation, stupid actions by people, and stupid actions by the government. It doesn't once ever mention the Bible or religion. Thus the article is unsatisfactory. Don't we all know by now that if something bad happens, the first thing we should look to blame is the Bible and Christianity?