Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Classic Movies

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest thing to do is to search Turner Classic Movies and record anything that sounds interesting. I'm looking right now - The Third Man starts in an hour (never seen it - DVR set).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't recommend this movie highly enough.

Also, second (or third)

The Sting
Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm excited to see The Third Man now. I've got to wait until I can dedicate some time without interruptions.

The Sting is a great choice.

MASH is another must-see comedy. I hated the series and didn't want to see the movie. I was very wrong.

Midnight Express was on the other night. I refused to get sucked in to watching the whole thing. It is the only Oliver Stone related film that I really like.

2001 hasn't been mentioned yet. It's definitely a tough movie. There really has never been another film like it. It is definitely worth seeing, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who gave up and stopped (at pretty much any point in the movie). I think you are better off watching it alone so that you won't be distracted. The pacing isn't slow, it absolutely crawls. But that (in my opinion) is the genius of it.

Concert films tend to be very boring, but there are a few exceptions. The Last Waltz is the top of the class.

If you are interested in seeing a contrast in how concerts can be filmed, try this double-feature: Pink Floyd at Pompeii, followed by Beastie Boys: Awesome, I [censored] Shot That. Pompeii has a few tracking shots that are at least 5 minutes long (maybe even longer). There isn't a single shot in Awesome that lasts more than a few seconds.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Stop Making Sense for concert film.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM

I loved Stop Making Sense, but the greatest concert movie ever has to go the The Last Waltz. It's just amazing.

So my wife was going to the video store last night and I asked her to pick up The Searchers. She came home with Searching for Bobby Fischer. Not exactly the same thing. Still a good movie though!

I'm going to start on the Westerns this weekend.