Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Time Travel Game: how would you make money?

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone betting on sports: Betting individual games is a dumb way to go about this. It would be far more profitable to look at whatever long shot prop-bets the books have and bet on those, like picking the entire playoff bracket at the beginning of a season, or betting on a specific player breaking a long-standing single season record, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

These bets are more profitable, but they tie up your money for a long period of time. You're better off doubling your money quickly betting on individual games so you have enough money to live on as well as building up a roll that will let you bet bigger.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM

a. double your money betting sports as much as possible until September 1st.

b. On September 5th sell short as many british pounds as you are able to.

c. September 17th. prrrrrrrooooooofitttttt!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday
Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 PM

I think people are not giving enough credit to timing when it comes to hit songs and/or inventions. So much of it is marketing/timing/etc. Do you really think you could go back and release the number one song of the following year and it become an instant hit?

I agree with the Wook - stocks is the way to go.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone betting on sports: Betting individual games is a dumb way to go about this. It would be far more profitable to look at whatever long shot prop-bets the books have and bet on those, like picking the entire playoff bracket at the beginning of a season, or betting on a specific player breaking a long-standing single season record, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can remember every NCAA tournament game from 1992?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM

ez

Both Markey and sports betting, you get to bet every football game for the season, winner of the world series , super bowl just Parlay every week. By mid season you should have enough credit to bet more then you have and DING
Old 09-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Oddly enough I asked a similar question to my friends last night, and I happened to stumble into here today. We decided sports betting was the way to go, but this was given you had time to study. I'd have a hard time getting rich in a year because I think the Bills losing the Super Bowl is the only sure bet I could come up with if I was to go back in time without preparation.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM

The 21 thing and all the sports betting talk got me completely off track so I had to think through this one for a few minutes.

I'll start with a hint if people don't want the spoiler.

Benefactor.

Sports betting has no or limited value for me, I was 12 at the time and even with a better than average knowledge of sports this feels like a long shot at best.

What is clear is that with more starting capital and a longer period of time it should be relatively simple to amass incredible quantities of cash.

So heres what I do.
Step 1, scour newspapers and any source at all that will jog my memory enough to recall with certainty many short term outcomes. Local elections, hit songs, sporting events, world news weather anything at all.

Step 2, combine all this information into a document that will make a pretty impressive case that will force people to at least entertain the unbelievable circumstances in which I have found myself.

Step 3, find people with cash, lots of it. I won't get near many of these people, many of those I do wont believe me, but eventually I will find someone who is willing to invest a million dollars in exchange for everything I know. For anyone with enough money the impossible circumstances will be tempered with the fact that I know enough that if somehow I am legit, the returns will be nearly unlimited.

Step 4 writes itself. Come up with an arrangement where I am guaranteed to get paid for my information and there is little to no risk of being stiffed.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ez

Both Markey and sports betting, you get to bet every football game for the season, winner of the world series , super bowl just Parlay every week. By mid season you should have enough credit to bet more then you have and DING

[/ QUOTE ]

you can remember the results of every NFL game in 1992? Wow.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Are you guys considering spreads here? I know who won a handful of games, mostly Knick playoff games, but I only know the point spreads on a few of them. The most immediate thing to do is get a job and a very cheap place to live, very possibly moving to Vegas ASAP as well. Then put as reasonable an amount as possible on Dallas to win the SB, before the season starts or near the beginning.

If you find someone for election betting, bet on Clinton, and Giuliani I believe was running for mayor back then as well. I could also try to find some degens to prop bet me that Ross Perot will win 19% of the popular vote, within 2% either way. Should be able to get decent odds on that.

Seinfeld - if I get transported right this second I'm lucky, because I'm currently watching the 1992-93 season on DVD. I could write a treatment of one of the episodes ("The Airport" being the most likely candidate, and I'd probably write it as some generic show) and get it out there just enough that it's out there, but not enough for the Seinfeld people to have read it. This aired in November-December and I'd sue for a reasonable ruling (I don't want to screw up the entire future by messing up Seinfeld), NBC would hopefully be willing to settle long before the one year is up.

By now it's NFL playoff time, all I know is that obv Dallas wins every game. If I need spreads I'm sunk.

Pre-NBA season bet on the Bulls if I have the bankroll. There are 2 NBA playoff games that I'm comfortable enough with the point spread to bet on. Oh also there's the Suns in the first round - they lose the first 2 games at home and face elimination despite having the best record in the league, so the Sonics are obviously locks for beating the spread. Then I'd bet on the Suns coming back.

Anyway, hopefully I could eventually parlay all of this into the million by August. If not I'd probably be pretty close, within half, so I'd bet the farm that Michael Jordan retires - this might not have happened before September of '93, but it would be my last best shot.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM

With this being 2+2 I'm surprised nobody has mentioned betting on who will win the WSOP. You'd get massive odds on Moneymaker, Raymer, Hachem, Gold and the new guy. Plus I'm sure you'd get some crazy proposition bets going with bookies. You wouldn't need to really remember the actual scores of sporting events, if you could remember some details. For example, I can't rememebr the exact score of the last World Cup final, but I do know that it was 1-1 before extra time, Zidane scored a penalty, got sent off in extra time and then Italy won on penalties. Or even better, bet on Liverpool to win the Champion's League Final in 2005. Put the bet on at half time when they're losing 3-0. I heard (urban myth) someone did that and got odds of 300-1 or something silly, although they only put like £10-20 on it.