Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Stranger Approaches My Daughter, Gives Her a Present

niss, where the heck are you in the TS Gabrielle thread? I thought you would be all over that once the thing actually approached/made landfall.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 PM

guids man, i like your style
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM

I would hand the dumb cross back to him and firmly and angrily say "STAY THE [censored] AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER" while keeping her behind me and very close. It sends the clear message to this freak that if he sees your daughter again when you aren't there (with the babysitter, mom) it's gonna be a really bad thing to mess with your family; she's protected.

Once you have to stand up and give someone a verbal asskicking like this, it's much easier and more natural the next time around when it may not be a false-alarm.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This was not a normal-looking nice old guy. I'm guessing former meth addict who was born again - really craggy looking face, goatee. I'm guessing he was 40ish but looked older at first glance.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I pictured when I read the OP.

I think the only reasonable response is to take the gift and just try and ignore the guy.

Yelling at the guy is pointless. It sets a bad example for your daughter, who should know not to go anywhere with strangers but certainly shouldn't think yelling at them is acceptable. And it's not like yelling at this guy is going to magically change him into someone who can still think. He'll just be scared and confused and some very small % of the time he might get violent.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM

If the event does not begin with the guy asking " is it Ok If I give you daughter this "(then shows you what it is), then he is totally out of line. He could be well-intentioned or he could be a wacko, but right off the bat you should have told the guy. "We can't accept this. I have told my daughter not to accept gifts from or to talk to strangers. I'm sure you understand."
Old 09-09-2007, 10:11 PM

hey LFS,
I've been raising a daughter myself, and extremely protective of her! My advice is to let ur daughter know that she should not accept gifts from strangers (i know she's only 2 1/2 but the concept will begin to set in) As far as that happening again (not all these people will be freaks), i would say to the person, let me see that- and say "i'm sorry but we don't let people we don't know give gifts to our daughter" ya know...or you understand.

And the on an aside- i think freak boy was trying to save your soul..thru ur little princess. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-ala
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the on an aside- i think freak boy was trying to save your soul..thru ur little princess. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-ala

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you meant this as a joke, but it's probably what he was doing, or else he thought you were too far gone to save.

I hate when people hand me religious crap. I hate to not take it, but when I take whatever they're trying to give me, they always want to talk to me then. LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!

It's times like this when I wish I carried around a big boombox and I could blast Heresy by NIN.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM

obvious subtle brag about daughter's linguistical development
Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the only reasonable response is to take the gift and just try and ignore the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this and you are in essense telling the 2 1/2 yo that it is ok to accept gifts from a stranger and she will get in the van for free candy.....

The guy should have asked OP's permission 1st. If he doesn't, then OP has every right to get in his face.

This isn't the 1800's anymore, you need to be aware of everything when you have kids.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey LFS,
I've been raising a daughter myself, and extremely protective of her! My advice is to let ur daughter know that she should not accept gifts from strangers (i know she's only 2 1/2 but the concept will begin to set in) As far as that happening again (not all these people will be freaks), i would say to the person, let me see that- and say "i'm sorry but we don't let people we don't know give gifts to our daughter" ya know...or you understand.

-ala

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfect advice. Anyone suggesting to get confrontational with a Jesus freak in front of his daughter likely doesn't have kids. It's the easy thing to do, but certainly not the right play when your kid is standing right there.