Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Bands that drastically changed musical styles

Bad Religion - from melodic hardcore on How Could Hell Be Any Wore to prog rock on Into the Unknown and then a break up and reunite for Suffer.

Joni Mitchell moved from folk to confessional pop music to experimental jazz.

I think the Beach Boys would also be a good example

Terence Trent D'Arby went from straight up R&B on Introducing the Hardline, to some fairly experimental stuff on Neither Fish Nor Flesh to alt-rock on Symphony or Damn and Vibrator.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1st time I saw the Beastie Boys they were called the Young & the Useless at CBGBs, they were a typical NYC Hardcore band with punk influences (they worshiped the Bad Brains like the rest of us did back then). Their drummer was Kate Jackson from Luscious Jackson. They didn't do any rapping at all(check out Pollywog Stew for an example). A year later they came out with a joke 12" called Cookie Puss which surprisingly got some club play which made fun of Carvel's ice cream cake character. Rick Rubin picked them up and produced She's On It and that was the first punk-rap crossover album ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nit you, but the Beastie Boys were always the Beastie Boys. It was Adam Yauch (MCA), Mike D, John Berry on guitar, and Kate Schellenbach (not Jackson) on drums.

Adam Horovitz (Adrock) was in a similar punk band (who wasn't back then?") called the Young and the Useless. BBoys dropped Berry and picked up Adrock. After Cookie Puss, they dropped Schellenbach and hooked up with Rubin, and so on.

They've done it all. Too much to type about but really a perfect answer for this thread. Them and the Beatles.

They (bboys) are my favorite of all time. I love everything they've done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta re-nit you right back - the link. I was wrong about Kate, right about the Y&TU. The show I saw was a 24-hour marathon of some sort, I was probably only 15 at the time. I also hung with the same group of friends back then in Crooklyn, while they were busy getting dusted I was huffing glue and whippets with Joe Bruno (Murphy's Law). I'm lucky I am still alive [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I just saw Bad Brains with the original lineup a few weeks ago and they played a great set.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHERE. They are my all time favorite band. My old friend Chuck Treece toured as a replacement for H.R once, I literally refused to go support him because its not the same.

*edit* - thanks for the heads up, I didn't know they have a new album out. Just listened to it... I was disappointed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 PM

Blur has drastically changed styles twice, from Madchester to Britpop to indie/lo-fi.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 PM

VirginFest. A couple of my friends are real tight with the promoters so we were right on the stage about 5 ft. away.

I thought the Beasties were real good too. They still impress me live.

random footnote: My old bass player recorded some stuff with H.R. that I've yet to hear.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure "Judas" wasn't at Newport in '65.

[/ QUOTE ]
Manchester '66, and he didn't laugh, he turned to the band and yelled, "Play [censored] loud!"

[/ QUOTE ]

You're Right
Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cant believe no one mentioned the beatles yet

[/ QUOTE ]
The Beatles never made a "drastic" change. They just became more experimental as time went on. Certainly not as drastic as some of the bands mentioned here (Dylan and Ministry in particular.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of disagree here. It may not be as drastic a change as Dylan going electric, but the Beatles changed directions in about 1965/66. At the same time that Dylan began exploring more musical influences, the Beatles started to write more intricate lyrics to go along with very different musical styles.

If it weren't for the very recognizable vocal harmonies, the band that recorded Revolver has very little in common with their first 4 or 5 albums (Rubber Soul is a transition).

The fabled "meeting" between the Beatles and Bob Dylan in NYC (I think 1965) where Dylan supposedly got the Beatles high for the first time, changed the direction of the two most important musical artists of the decade (or century, or of all human history, you take your pick).
Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF wish i never seen that photo never knew pantera where ever [censored] rock.

And for biggest change Metallica,

[/ QUOTE ]

Metallica isn't even the biggest change in your post. Obviously Pantera going from glam to thrash was bigger change than Metallica slowing down as they got older. Just because one might not like the way Metallica changed doesn't mean their change was as big as Pantera's.

For another good "before" picture, here's Dr. Dre before he joined NWA:
Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I can't believe no one has mentioned Weezer so far.

They went from unbelieve rock band with the Blue Album and Pinkerton (one of the best albums of the 90s) to bad pop music with Green Album, Maladroit, and Make Believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll grant you that the last 3 albums weren't as good as the first two, but saying they "drastically changed musical styles" is kinda silly.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Gwen Stefani. I know it's not totally comparable going from No Doubt to being a solo artist, but there's a big change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking that too, comparing "I Saw Red" with Sublime to "The Sweet Escape" with Akon, it's kind of a leap.

I've heard lots of women complain about Nelly Furtado's transition too but I don't feel it's as big as they make it out to be.