Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Bad etiquette to color up in small stakes?

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen anyone color up chips at a poker table ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Ever seen a mid stakes game in Vegas?

Seriously, I see color ups all the time at Venetian, especially at 2/5NL, and higher limit games, where stacks of greeens and blacks are needed to take over excessive stacks of red.

Playing limit, I have colored up to reds from having too many whites (one time, at 3/6 I managed to go on a run, and get to close to 1K, so color up was not optional, it was required).

Color ups occur all the time in cardrooms. Not a big deal at all.

Also, especially in limit, cash normally plays ($100 bills). So if you have a large stack, often, you can become the "cashier" of the table, when people enter the game, you can sell them chips from your stack, and put the hundreds on the bottom. A great feeling, and rather fun to do.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen anyone color up chips at a poker table ever. I'm not even sure it is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely possible. It's probably best avoided in a time-charged game or everyone will get surly. (Foxwoods banned color-ups in the $1-2 NL recently, even though it really just means they have to take fills more often.)

In a small-stakes, raked game if you want to color up say $100 in $1 and you're not slowing down the game after every third hand, you're fine.

Now once I saw a guy sit down at a $2/4 or $4/8 limit with a stack of green $25 chips. At FW both those games play with yellow $2 chips, and every time his stack went below an increment of $25 he'd make a bet with the quarters and require making change. Then when he won a pot, he'd color up $25 or $50 in yellows. That was pissing me off because it was just an absurd waste of time! (Maybe he was headed to a no-limit game or to the blackjack tables, who knows?) But if you don't go to these excesses then coloring up to high-value chips is generally fine.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's definitely possible. It's probably best avoided in a time-charged game or everyone will get surly. (Foxwoods banned color-ups in the $1-2 NL recently, even though it really just means they have to take fills more often.)

In a small-stakes, raked game if you want to color up say $100 in $1 and you're not slowing down the game after every third hand, you're fine.

Now once I saw a guy sit down at a $2/4 or $4/8 with a stack of green $25 chips. At FW plays with yellow $2 chips, and every time his stack went below an increment of $25 he'd make a bet with the quarters and require making change. Then when he won a pot, he'd color up $25 or $50 in yellows. That was pissing me off because it's ridiculous, but if you don't go to these excesses then coloring up to high-value chips is generally fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have recently stopped coloring up at $2/4 and $4/8 as well. Maybe in all games, I'm not sure since I don't play any of the others. I hate people buying in at the yellow chip games, anyway. It just means another fill is coming soon, which can get really annoying, sitting a fill every hour or two.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing limit, I have colored up to reds from having too many whites (one time, at 3/6 I managed to go on a run, and get to close to 1K, so color up was not optional, it was required).

[/ QUOTE ]
How many hours did this take? If you bought for $200, then that's around 130 bets. That's quite a few.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, especially in limit, cash normally plays ($100 bills). So if you have a large stack, often, you can become the "cashier" of the table, when people enter the game, you can sell them chips from your stack, and put the hundreds on the bottom. A great feeling, and rather fun to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love doing this.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 AM

It took about 6 hours roughly, with lots of miraclous cards thrown in. It was really a few big hands that did it. Full house over full house twice, set over set three times, and one straight flush over an ace high flush. It was just a great run. On a few of the hands, it was heads up with no cap, and it was raise and reraise back and forth until the opponant gave. It was my best 3/6 session ever, about four months ago at the Venetian. Of course, my once in a lifetime run has to be at a 3/6 game, but what can you do.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 PM

The normal rule is that all your chips must be visible so your bigger chips would have to sit in front of your smaller chips. Coloring up is usually done when you are leaving, so unless the dealer offers or asks you to color up so he can give anothe rplayer chips, don't bother.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The normal rule is that all your chips must be visible so your bigger chips would have to sit in front of your smaller chips. Coloring up is usually done when you are leaving, so unless the dealer offers or asks you to color up so he can give anothe rplayer chips, don't bother.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't really apply to limit games. Sorry to nitpick, but the OP specified a limit 2/4 game. I will agree it's probably not worth the bother, but there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't really apply to limit games. Sorry to nitpick, but the OP specified a limit 2/4 game. I will agree it's probably not worth the bother, but there is nothing wrong with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Thank you for nitpicking, because I would have kept my higher chips in front before you mentioned that.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:33 AM

I would think it's good practice in limit too, even though the sort of all-in situations where it matters are obviously much rarer.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I love being "the banker". I also get to jokingly talk about how I've been getting pretty lucky so that new players don't think I've earned my big stack through skill. Nothing's better than being a consistently lucky player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whenever I've played 2/4 or 3/6 I find you can colour up graduallly as you go. There's usually a mix of red/white chips in play, so if you want more reds just make sure you always bet 1s and start stockpiling the 5s. If you're low on 1s start playing your 5s, especially at times where the dealer doesn't have to go to the tray to make change (not a big deal at all, but it makes the game a bit faster).