Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Ask deadbody About managing a bank in the Ghetto

OK, the Ask threads are interesting, and since I have some experience in this matter, I thought it would interest people.

I was the Senior Assistant Branch Manager for a financial institution in MN that has many supermarket branches. I worked in the heart of the ghetto for my last year and a half there. I have been accused of racism, and called cracker more times than I care to remember, along with seeing a fight break out (posted on here a long time ago on a Fight trip report thread, someone with better search skillz can probably find it) and watching the off-duty cops threaten to "Take off this gun belt and beat your ass." to the criminals in my branch.

Any questions about Checking or savings accounts (no lending at my branch), or bank policies people have, send 'em this way. Work is slow today and I'm feeling like I could maybe contribute something here. I am no longer in banking as I spent the summer playing frisbee golf and donating plasma after the bank fired me for a very trumped up reason, and I left the field about 2 years ago.

Start 'em coming, I have 4.5 hours left at work, and god forbid that I use it wisely.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Ask deadbody About managing a bank in the Ghetto

most interesting/successful scam pulled at your branch?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Tell us about the trumped-up reason [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most interesting/successful scam pulled at your branch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never actually saw someone get away with something. I came home with so many stories of having people arrested my son (5 or so at the time) believed that I worked with superman.

Most amusing was probably when a lady came in sobbing because in the dept. store next door her purse was stolen and it had her $7500 tax refund check inside (she was gonna deposit it after she went shopping) I had the cops come and start taking a report, when my employee brought me a check cash to sign off on, it was this womans ID with the face burnt off with a cigarette, she was trying to cash the check she found in the purse. Had the cops arrest her, and the check returned to the woman on the spot. Lady was so happy she bought the whole branch a cookie boquet and had it delivered to us. Also wrote a very nice letter to my bosses boss about how great I was and how good of a job I did. The letter was in my file when I got canned (still have a copy around here somewhere).
Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell us about the trumped-up reason [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The manager had told us not to worry about dual control with the checks we got back (if you move and then order checks through the bank without updating your address with us they get sent to the branch instead of your house, the post office won't forward checks) we got too many checks back to lock them up properly so we were told to ignore it.

Had a full scope audit when the branch manager was in Mexico on a company trip for how good the branch had performed in the last year. Auditor said it was a violation, and since I was the last person to do it (not the first or the only) I got canned about a week later.

Spent the summer home with my kid collecting unemployment, and then started the job I'm at now (bookkeeper for a small carpet store).
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM

How much did you make donating plasma?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much did you make donating plasma?

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 a week, but I have really crappy veins so I had to quit doing it after a while (and I still have a scar on my elbow because they kept having to use the same spot)
Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The letter was in my file when I got canned (still have a copy around here somewhere).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it worked like a charm!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 PM

How "ghetto" am I supposed to believe that MN really is?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How "ghetto" am I supposed to believe that MN really is?

[/ QUOTE ]

85% of my customers routinely overdrew their accounts, lines out the door and around the corner on Fridays and the 3rd of the month (social security time) Armed police in the grocery store at all times. Surrounded by low income housing. Maybe it ain't Compton, but this was a poor, crime-ridden minority area.