Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever pulled yr pud while reading/posting to 2+2?
Yes 31 31.31%
No 22 22.22%
BASTAHHHHH OOH OH GOD UH WHAT IT DO ugggggggghhhhhhhhhgghgahkglkcd-9897^(Uhbn 087 (6chowmeow) almosttherehjchh8y084 PT*^YT k, es08[0fusenship pit. 46 46.46%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: If you got Ladanian Tomlinson and a few of his closest friends...

[ QUOTE ]

in rugby league (the vid i linked above) the NFL guys wouldn't win in 5 years. very confident.

[/ QUOTE ]

tbh, I watched that video you linked and those guys looked softer and slower than I figured them for. But I get that they're out there a long time so they'll look slower.

I mean it's just an argument. I'm not going to get into a long drawn-out debate over it. It's just my opinion that 6 months, no. 5-10 years, yeah.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 PM

lol touche about David Degenyamine. Didn't even have to click the link.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yet i'm certain you could give your dream team of NFL players 5-10 years and they wouldn't win. the australians are just too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, wow. The argument here is 6 months. 5-10 years is a NO BRAINER the NFLers win. 6 months I say Rugby players win. 10 years though!? NFL guys kill everyone and it's not close.

I mean, how many years of their adult life have these top-tier pro Rugby players been playing? 10 years? So, give the NFL guys 10 years (say the top crop out of college over a 3-year span), and they kill.

**So you think taking the best of a bunch of athletes from a country of 300 mill, training them from the age of 21 in a sport they've never even seen before, that it's a no brainer that they are going to take the best of the world from countries with a combined population of about 300 mill, who have been playing this since childhood and have actually demonstrated incredible ability in this sport? Can't you see how ridiculous that is? What on earth would possibly make you think that?

Also, I don't know much about Rugby strategy, but it does seem more primitive than the NFL. I'm not sure how difficult of a transition it would be. It would be like playing PLO your whole life then "trying" to learn holdem. lol.

**erm, no. In NFL, you have set 'plays' where each guy has a specific role, doing something very specific that they are genetically well suited to doing. In rugby it's a flowing game where you aren't having some coach telling you exactly where to run prior to every play you make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrI52_2GaZI

look at that play. AFAIK, after the initial QB throw, the game they are playing is pretty damn similar to rugby. Yet to a trained rugby eye like mine or Yeti's they just look absolutely ridiculous. Compare that to the Aus v. NZ match posted above. Do you realise how long it would take these guys to be able to pull that off? I've played rugby and it's TOUGH tactically. I'm 100 sure that American football is too,

The hardest part is definitely the stamina and getting used to hitting/getting hit with no real padding. The NFLers are used to tackling and bowling guys over by jamming their helmet into someone's chest. I think they'd have to alter their tackling and plowing strategy a bit with no helmet on. That's why I think it defintely takes longer than 6 months, but nowhere near 10 years.

This thread is making me interested in Rugby though, so something good has come out of it for you Brits. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 PM

Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 PM

obviously if you gave FRIDGE 6 months training he would beat lennox. he's by far the superior athlete. plus they have tons of facilities in america.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously if you gave FRIDGE 6 months training he would beat lennox. he's by far the superior athlete. plus they have tons of facilities in america.

[/ QUOTE ]

not similar body types, so comparison doesn't work

LT similar body type, does work

waaawaaaaa
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Right plus he's 325 lbs compared to Lennox's 250. That's like the same weight difference as between Ricky Hatton and Mike Tyson. So, it's a no brainer.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 PM

i think i'm done with this debate for now dean. it's kinda boring when you are the only one who actually knows anything about _both_ the sports being discussed.

perhaps we can resume this discussion next year when australia and a population 1/15th the size of the usa proceeds to win half as many olympic medals as them.

yeti out

105,942 and counting
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

perhaps we can resume this discussion next year when australia and a population 1/15th the size of the usa proceeds to win half as many olympic medals as them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is MEANINGLESS to the topic-at-hand. And it's also no testament to the athletecism of Americans, either.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 PM

lol someone voted Fridge would win a fight over Lennox. Fridge couldn't even beat the top-notch pugilist that is Manute Bol.