Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: DeathDonkey is in the well

DD,

Have you ever had any hands that stood out in your memory that indicated you had really made major progress in your poker playing ability? Something like checking or folding a river b/c you knew you were beat, even though your hand was strong in absolute terms, or putting in an extra bet or raise with a modest holding because you knew it was best and that your opponent would pay you off.

Also, now that you have played limit hold em for so long, do you ever find the game becoming boring or repetitive? (If so, how frequently?) If not, what about the game do you believe makes playing for a long time to still be interesting and challenging?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DD,

what do you feel you're poker ceiling is (in stakes) in
online holdem? <font color="blue"> Well with the current state of online, I'd say around 100/200 solely because the bigger games are terrible and the variance is sick. A year ago I would have said much higher.</font>
live holdem? <font color="blue"> No limit really, as the games can be amazing sometimes at any stakes. I've played 400/800 games that were the loosest games in the room at Commerce.</font>

How do you go about quitting well?<font color="blue"> Ask Joe Tall for help a lot, and remember that when I even start to think about quitting, I already have quit mentally and need to get out of there before I spew off chips. Also, realizing when I am not in the right state of mind to continue, whether because I'm distracted, lost too much, tired, whatever.</font>

how do you handle tilt?<font color="blue"> I do so many dumb tricks to myself to stay as un-tilty as possible. I used to think I was tilt-free but I'm not, and since I've been "pro" I'd say tilt has been more of an issue, related to the stress of needing to win I guess. When I am on tilt I quit if I can recognize it, or sometimes I raise a lot and hope to get lucky and get my vengeance on all the heathens.</font>

how do you manage bankroll?<font color="blue"> I am a big believer in BR management, and wouldn't play any game without at least 500 bb for it. That said, I think some players are too tentative to move up when their bankroll does allow it. You learn so much more playing in a higher, scarier game that you really have to jump in there and take your shot, but be willing to drop back down if the first shot doesn't work out the way you wanted. </font>

what should a small stakes US player do to reach mid stakes holdem games
-with his bankroll?<font color="blue"> Do bonuses, get rakeback, crush games you can crush and build up. Take shots when the next higher stakes game up is good and you have the bankroll and are mentally prepared. I used to play 5/10 6m and only play 10/20 6m on friday and saturday nights because the games were the best then and the play was pretty similar.</font>
-with his site selection?<font color="blue"> This one I don't worry about as much. Play where you are comfortable, all the sites have ok games at most levels. Right now, WPEX 100% rakeback is tough to beat, but the games are definitely tougher, so there is a tradeoff. You just have to be comfortable with the software and the players and get to know them and you can be ok on basically any site.</font>

Would you consider yourself more mathematical or instinctive?<font color="blue"> Was definitely more mathematical when I was learning, but now its fairly instinctive. For instance, I can't tell you any of the triple draw math but I pretty much always know when I have the right odds to draw or whatever. Practice makes perfect and instinctive players can do very well as long as their other poker theory knowledge is sound.</font>

Is Baronzeus better than you headsup? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he is better than me, he has more high stakes experience and I don't play very much heads up. Man I remember when that kid came through the micro forum and I was already sort of established here, he just flew by everyone. Great player, nice guy, hope to meet him someday.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever play MTTs or STTs? If so, at what limits?

Can you get Joe to jump in the well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played micro STTs when I was first building a BR sometimes for fun and for easy money, but I haven't in a very long time. Same for MTTs really though over the summer I played my first three WSOP events ever (all limit and did poorly) but had a great experience and will play more this summer I'm sure.

Joe did a well post here a couple months ago, should be easy to find. He had a great time I'm sure he would make another.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DD,

Have you ever had any hands that stood out in your memory that indicated you had really made major progress in your poker playing ability? Something like checking or folding a river b/c you knew you were beat, even though your hand was strong in absolute terms, or putting in an extra bet or raise with a modest holding because you knew it was best and that your opponent would pay you off.

Also, now that you have played limit hold em for so long, do you ever find the game becoming boring or repetitive? (If so, how frequently?) If not, what about the game do you believe makes playing for a long time to still be interesting and challenging?

[/ QUOTE ]

The memorable things for me are hands that got posted on 2+2 that I took part in, or times when a very good player has complimented me on something. Can't remember any details but I played a 3 handed 5/10 6m 2+2 game with Sthief / Josh and Newhizzle like a year ago that was so much fun and after it was over Josh told me "I hate playing with you more than anyone else ever" and that made me feel great.

I get bored playing sometimes but not that much. For me even if the decisions are boring, I'm super competitive and never get tired of winning, especially in somewhat tough lineups live. It's not the best idea for my bankroll or variance, but I have an extra pleasure whenever I play well in a tough game. When I do feel that way about limit holdem, I play a different game and remember that I like poker because of all the different things you can do in it.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 AM

Music choices?

Sports? Teams?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you get Joe to jump in the well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is: My Micro-Well from a few months ago.

I will be another one within a week, likley in Small Stakes.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Miles is right, I worded it very subjectively. Boz, you didn't really help.

[/ QUOTE ]

In point of fact your question was contradictory as you did use subjective terms but then switched gears to "actual cost and frequency." I chose to go after the latter part. Sorry I didn't help.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Sexy DeathDonkey upshort (on the far right):

Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you could have the abilities of any animal, what animal would you pick and why? Wow, can't think of anything for this. I guess a fish of some kind, I don't swim so well but I live a block from the beach.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought this needed bolding. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you could have the abilities of any animal, what animal would you pick and why? Wow, can't think of anything for this. I guess a fish of some kind, I don't swim so well but I live a block from the beach.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought this needed bolding. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]