Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What happened?
OP called and CO had AA/KK 4 50.00%
OP folded and the hands were AQ and 66 or some other trash 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Pot/Implied Odds in 1/2 NL

As you all know the theory behind 'good betting' is to give your opponent incorrect, or bad, odds to call/chase. This theory is VERY obvious in NL games with higher blinds (if you assume that skill level increases as the stakes get higher). I'd like to hear some thoughts on this theory at a 1/2 NL game. Do the majority of people take pot/implied odds into account? Or does inexperience cause them to just play their cards? I know I'm constantly doing math, keeping track of how much money is in the pot, my outs, my opponents outs (once I have put him on a hand), etc. But I really don't see the majority of players at a 1/2 NL game doing these things. Thoughts???
Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Pot/Implied Odds in 1/2 NL

[ QUOTE ]
As you all know the theory behind 'good betting' is to give your opponent incorrect, or bad, odds to call/chase.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, this is just one of many considerations. You also need to consider how much value you get from weaker made hands, how much you will pay off stronger made hands, whether you will induce successful bluffs, and whether you will induce unsuccessful bluffs.

When a flush draw is possible, somemone with random cards or a wide range has about a 5% chance of having a flush draw. Playing with the assumption that your opponent has a flush draw will only be right accidentally against the other 95%.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Taking implied odds into account is more complex than just considering that you can stack the opponent if you hit.

Many opponents do not give the implied odds that some players take for granted. Good example is calling with small pairs all kinds of preflop raises if you are getting 1:8 odds. Truth is that you do not nearly always stack someone when you hit a set for example.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM

2 good points. However, here is a more explicitive example of what I'm asking:

You: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Opponent: you put him on A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Yor opponent limps from middle-late position. You raise 3x on the button. Folds around to your opponent. Heads up...

POT=$1(SB)+$2(BB)+$2(limp)+$6(raise)+$4(call)=$15

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Since you rasied preflop AND have middle pair and the nut flush draw you make a continuation bet of $15 (your rightfully put your opponent on a weak A). Your opponent will only be getting 2to1 on his money.

Any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], any K, any Q gives you the win which gives you 15 outs. He can only improve his hand with 2 of the As and 2 of the 4s. PLUS, he has to take into account you may have a bigger A.

BUT...in a 1/2 NL game how many opponents actually use this thought process? Would the majority of players in a 1/2 NL game think 'I have an ACE and its only $15...this is NO LIMIT POKER...like on TV...I call'?

If you hit your hand GREAT! If not you KNOW you were betting correctly for your opponent to fold. WILL HE???
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM

How well can you really guess your opponents hand?

You cannot really put anyone on A4o when they call your pfr.
You should be putting them on a range of several hands. In this case the range of several hands you would probably conclude that you are ahead or drawing with a lot of outs and then you'd bet. Who would call with A4o anyway?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

Larry...thanks for your deep insight but you are missing the ENTIRE point of the question.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 PM

And, Larry, if you actually took the time to read that hand description you will notice I said 'your rightfully put your opponent on a weak A' which is indeed a range of hands.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 PM

if he called preflop with a4 and then folds to a cbet on an a high board, he must truly be bad.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 AM

People are totally missing the entire point of the question. Please read the the initial posting very carefully before posting responses.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People are totally missing the entire point of the question. Please read the the initial posting very carefully before posting responses.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Please differentiate your question from 'how many fish at an average 1-2 FRNL table' If people are missing the point it's just possible the OP was not well worded [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]