Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Coaching

The coaching warning thread got me thinking.

Have folks had positive experiences with coaching - if so please post. I'm not particularly interested in who your coach is - or in seeing a bunch of coaches advertise. I simply want to know concrete ways in which you think coaching improved your game. I'm also somewhat more interested in hearing from people who are already pretty good at the limits they typically play (as apposed to losers or breakeven players trying to get to profitability).

Lucky
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Coaching

Since it is relevant to recent events, I'll allow this thread as long as it stays on topic.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM

FWIW, I have been coached by BK_ (RIP), Tommy Angelo, and Krantz and each one has been fantastic and well worth the money. They have taught me things like table selection, how to use position, hand reading, preflop strategy and how to integrate postflop strategy to take advantage of your preflop style, tilt control, BR management, and tons of other things. I think when used appropriately, coaching can be a great tool.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 PM

TWP has been coaching me semi-regularly for a while now. I started shortly after I moved to cash games from sngs and was a losing player. TWP got me to profitability pretty quickly and things have just improved from there. Aside from learning strategy, one of the greatest skills he has helped a lot with is maintaining the right psychological state while playing. I had a bad downswing fueled by tilt and concentration issues a few months back and lost a lot of my bankroll. His advice was vital in getting me to actually recognize why I was losing and correcting it. It's all been sunshine and puppies ever since (well, not exactly, but you get the idea).
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Not to be a d.ck - but I think this thread would be a whole lot better (and more credible), and have a better chance of staying open, if there were no references to specific coaches.

Lucky
Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not to be a d.ck - but I think this thread would be a whole lot better (and more credible), and have a better chance of staying open, if there were no references to specific coaches.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

why? The entire point is to review specific coaches so people know who's good. Everyone knows that coaching is potentially worth the money if you have the right coach.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:45 PM

I see no reason (unless the mods have an issue) with naming coaches you've had positive experiences with. That way the thread can be helpful in regards to your original question and could possibly be a starting place for people interested in coaching. I know when I was looking for a coach, it was kind of a crapshoot of PMing random people and getting second hand info (I hear X is a good coach), so I would have loved to have had a thread like this.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM

giving good experiences with some coaches and what limits they helped you with would be a good thing... i know i might be interested in a coach and would like to read some experiences with certain coaches
Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

why? The entire point is to review specific coaches so people know who's good. Everyone knows that coaching is potentially worth the money if you have the right coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

No - the point is to help people figure out what they can get out of having a good coach. If someone has posted about a positive experience anyone is free to PM them and ask them about their who coach is. Not mentioning names keeps this from becomming a big ad.

Lucky
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No - the point is to help people figure out what they can get out of having a good coach. If someone has posted about a positive experience anyone is free to PM them and ask them about their who coach is. Not mentioning names keeps this from becomming a big ad.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a lot of having a good coach. /that part of the thread