Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Shorthanded Stud/8 hand

Four-handed 5/10 high/low game at Bodoggie, .50 ante, $2 bringin. The player to my right is even steal-happier than I am, if that's possible, and I'd been giving up a lot of bringins. The immediately previous hand we faced off on his bringin and I freerolled my way to a nine-high straight on the river to scoop his fourth-street trip queens in a hand that ran more or less standard. He's seen me play some hands well and some badly, but all very aggressive.

I bringin with (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the other two players fold*, he pops me with the 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I repop and he calls.

Fourth:
Hero: (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises, and I call. This is kind of iffy, but I had a fairly strong feeling he was on air on third, and I wanted to keep a big buried pair in my range. Naturally even after he tells me I'm wrong I'm peeling.

Fifth:
Hero: (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check-raise him and he calls. I didn't think there was much chance he'd check through with the lead here.

Sixth:
Hero: (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Those jacks look good, and I have the lead, so I bet it. He raises me, which is worrisome because I think my range still has some pretty powerful high hands in it. I think briefly and call.

On the river I pull a second pair with the 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and check intending to call.

* Bodog doesn't put folded third street cards in the histories. I'm pretty sure they were not relevant. At the very least there were no other sevens or low diamonds, they weren't both jacks, and my straight cards were live.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Shorthanded Stud/8 hand

It's gotta be close to a 3 bet on 6th. Someone will come along and show some equity calcs but if he has anything worse than 3 sevens you are a monster. From his POV, it looks like you have a low draw and a pair of jacks, so if he raises with two small pair you are the favorite, a small dog to a bigger two pair, and a bit of a bigger dog to trip sevens.

Given he should put you on a low draw with a pair of jacks, he should not bet the river with two small pair, since you will only call with a better high or a low for a chop, he will pay you off, however, since you could make just the low, and he's gonna be hard-pressed to raise you on the end even with a monster high. I think you should bet the river.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-26-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's gotta be close to a 3 bet on 6th. Someone will come along and show some equity calcs but if he has anything worse than 3 sevens you are a monster. From his POV, it looks like you have a low draw and a pair of jacks, so if he raises with two small pair you are the favorite, a small dog to a bigger two pair, and a bit of a bigger dog to trip sevens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take it further - by 3-bombing 7th your also declaring you have the high hand, as well as a draw for low. When you 3-bet vs his paired door card your announcing that you can beat a possible set (even though you cannot) since thats what he is representing with the raise (in addition to a low draw). But the problem is he likely also holds a low draw that he wont fold and the hero is still first to act on the river - so I think a call is slightly better than 3-betting due to position on 7th street.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fifth:
Hero: (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check-raise him and he calls. I didn't think there was much chance he'd check through with the lead here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lead? I'm curious about 5th street. Did we learn something by him betting his brick into your catch, or was it simply an I'm-only-young-once-so-I'll-push-the-button online shorthanded bet?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:23 PM

I like your play on every street.

I peel fourth less than most people but once we have put in two SB on 3rd and we have 234 suited(!) I think we should peel.

5th - Nice - His hand could be very weak and this also puts pressure on weak high hands.

Phat Mack- with regard to 5th he definitly could have a big pair. BUT I think a lot of convert HE players just bet here with whatever just because of their HE background. A lot of players don't realize that even though we bricked on 4th - we caught up on 5th and just continue beting.

6th- His raise is very dangerous. I dont know what type of player he is but when he raises it is a big hand...A LOT. I think a smaller two pair is fairly unlikely.

7th - check call dude
Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take it further - by 3-bombing 6th street your also declaring you have the high hand, as well as a draw for low. When you 3-bet vs his paired door card your announcing that you can beat a possible set (even though you cannot) since thats what he is representing with the raise (in addition to a low draw). But the problem is he likely also holds a low draw that he wont fold and the hero is still first to act on the river - so I think a call is slightly better than 3-betting due to position on 7th street.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed
Old 01-27-2007, 01:40 AM

i liked the way you played your hand but i think i would bet seventh street.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.. i intially thought "eff him, raise 4th!!" but i think you punish him far more when you improve on 5th (which is like always here) and then make your hand.. basically making a huge pot out of someone who's been "stealing" the whole time.

it's a huge leak by him to play a big hand like this vs. you unless you've played super weaktight, and i dont really see you as playing weaktight as all.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands is Villain raising on 6th that we can value bet on 7th? like nada bro
Old 01-27-2007, 05:47 AM

I'm not confident in being able to bet-fold seventh, especially against this player. If there's any chance my hand is good he's already raised me light twice in the hand. And bet-call seems pretty ugly. I think all the options pretty much stink, but kc seems to stink the least.