Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:52 AM

Default NL - Practicing hand reading

I'm new to NL. It seems that it will take quite a long time to practice hand reading, since not very many hands get to the showdown, so I can't really confirm the correctness of my reads.

Does anyone else see this as a hurdle?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: NL - Practicing hand reading

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to NL. It seems that it will take quite a long time to practice hand reading, since not very many hands get to the showdown, so I can't really confirm the correctness of my reads.

Does anyone else see this as a hurdle?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is a problem.

One possibility is to buy in a bit shorter, say 40 or 50 big blinds. Then more hands will go to showdown, and the game is simmplified a bit. Another tactic is to watch hands in which you are not a participant. Predict what the players have during the hand, and then look up the hands at showdown. Most poker clients let you look up the hands that were folded at showdown, even if they were not shown on the screen.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 AM

Yeah, definitely set aside some time to play "read poker." If you normally play 3 or 4 tables, or more, just play 1 or 2 for a while and try to watch every hand and play the read game. I usually do this at the end of a run, when I have some stats built up.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:13 AM

Hi.

You can read this(And everything else you can find from this guy!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...256&page=0

// M
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Miraculix: Yeah, I'm already on the Pokey post reading train, good stuff!

So, I guess it is kind of a "put the time in" thing. That's OK, it will be worth it when I'm able to reap the rewards of NL with some good reads.

I am planning on getting pahud after the new version comes out (in the next month or so?), so that will make the process a little easier/quicker.

I suppose I can go back and just replay my own hand histories from a few weeks ago, but maybe it's more educational to actually be playing at the time.

I've noticed that I can't mine for hand histories on Party, otherwise I could watch a few tables all day and then filter for wtsd hands. Are there other sites where observed hands are sent to you?