Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
How many more times does GSP have to beat Matt Hughes? I think this will be ugly for Matt.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're 1 and 1 against each other, wtf.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course this matchup will be great to watch but judging from their last encounter, I really don't see how hughes can beat GSP. THe last time it was total domination from beginning to end and was not a fluke. I guess I'm kinda happy that GSP will become the interim champ and a karo vs GSP can be set up in the spring hopefully. Karo is so due.

[/ QUOTE ]

the more Karo fights, the less I think he deserves the title shot. About 4 or 5 fights of his ago, I would've said, Karo vs. anyone for the Interim title. Now, not so much.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
weprojqwpeur1!!!!!

Hughes/GSP III for interim title, UFC 79!

http://www.matt-hughes.com/blog/2007...breaking-news/

OMGCUMROFLWPOIEJFPWOIJFE

[/ QUOTE ]

How amusing would be it be if GSP beats Hughes then Serra returns and beats GSP again.

[/ QUOTE ]

serra already hit the lottery last april. no chance he does it again.

thank you matt hughes & gsp!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It could very well be that Serra just has GSP's number. In fact I think Serra might have a better chance of beating GSP than beating Hughes, and the funny thing is, with the interim title fight going on, Serra might never have to fight Hughes.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 AM

v,

"the more Karo fights, the less I think he deserves the title shot. About 4 or 5 fights of his ago, I would've said, Karo vs. anyone for the Interim title. Now, not so much."

Agree completely. He also doesn't come across like he really puts in the max effort to be in the best shape or to diversify his game, instead falling back on his judo skill.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many more times does GSP have to beat Matt Hughes? I think this will be ugly for Matt.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're 1 and 1 against each other, wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know they are 1 and 1. My point being that I dont believe that Matt Hughes has much of a chance against Georges. Stylistically speaking, I think Georges matches very well.

As a supporter of GSP, im more concerned with a match versus Serra than Hughes.

I honestly think Hughes would have a tough time getting past Fitch or Koscheck. I mean his only win since losing the title to GSP was a decision over Lytle.

That being said Im happy with the result. Georges gets to beat on Matt Hughes again and hopefully Matt Serra in the near future.

The real question is how the UFC handles Fitch, Parisyan, Koscheck, and Sanchez
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Nickdanutz,

re: Hughes

I'm not even a big Matt Hughes fan, but you're original comment ("How many more times...") still doesn't make much sense to me. The feeling I get from you is that you don't think these two should fight?

I'd be more concerned with this fight than a fight with Serra.

re: Karo

I think Fitch is a better fighter and I'd like to see him in a title fight, but I don't understand the backlash against Karo? Throw out his razor-thin loss to Diego, and he's 8-1 in the UFC with 7 straight wins. And every fight has been against pretty legit competition.

Now, what I think would be really [censored] is to have Fitch and Karo fight for a title shot at the February Super Bowl show.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nickdanutz,

re: Hughes

I'm not even a big Matt Hughes fan, but you're original comment ("How many more times...") still doesn't make much sense to me. The feeling I get from you is that you don't think these two should fight?

I'd be more concerned with this fight than a fight with Serra.

re: Karo

I think Fitch is a better fighter and I'd like to see him in a title fight, but I don't understand the backlash against Karo? Throw out his razor-thin loss to Diego, and he's 8-1 in the UFC with 7 straight wins. And every fight has been against pretty legit competition.

Now, what I think would be really [censored] is to have Fitch and Karo fight for a title shot at the February Super Bowl show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand why the UFC wants to see Hughes fight but I dont think he has "earned" it. I mean cmon since his loss to GSP all hes done is win 1 fight vs Lytle. I personally think that based on the performance vs Koscheck, Georges earned the first shot.

That being said I understand TUF issues as well as Hughes popularity.

Question: How do you rank the welterweight division?

I think the backlash re: Karo comes from his style. I dont hate him although hes not as "flashy" as some.

Everything aside I would have liked to see:

Karo vs Koscheck
Fitch vs Hughes
Serra vs GSP

but now everything is amuck and I dont know who fitch should fight next. I know you wan Karo but Fitch hasnt fought since sept (if I remember correctly) and Karo just fought last ppv.

If this happens what are your plans for Kos?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Hughes has "earned" it by being one of the most dominating fighters in the short history of MMA. He has 2 losses since March 2001. One to B.J. Penn, one to Georges St. Pierre. He's 20-2 in that time. That's just sick. Again, I'm not even a big fan of Hughes, but I definitely don't have a problem with him having a title shot.

It's really hard for me to subjectively try and rank the welterweight division because I think a lot of guys are real close. I think right now St. Pierre, Hughes, Parisyan, and Fitch are Tier 1, and guys like Serra, Koscheck, Sanchez, etc. are Tier 2.

Going back to Karo, I just don't feel like a guy's style should dictate title fights. We've had this discussion before, and I understand the UFC is also in the entertainment business and wants to make money. But, IMO, MMA is a sport first, and you can't deny title shots because a guy has a poor style. Outside of Parisyan's inability to finish lately, I think he has a pretty fun style. He has an extraordinary ability to hit big slams, and was in a FOTY last year with Diego.

If I were setting up fights...it's hard to say because we don't know how long Serra is out for. If we go back and erase the TUF [censored], Hughes and Serra would have fought over the summer. This is what I would do right now:

Hughes vs. St. Pierre at UFC 79
Fitch vs. Parisyan at UFC 81 for a title shot
Kos vs. Marcus Davis at 80/81
Old 11-26-2007, 03:03 PM

I just want to see Hughes get his ass beat. I think he comes off like an [censored].

I wish Serra could have had a chance to beat that ass.

C-Dog
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM

I forgot to say I'd obviously have Serra fight for the title when he got back from injury. Whether he fought the winner of Hughes-St. Pierre or the winner of Hughes/St.Pierre-Fitch/Parisyan would depend on his timetable.
Closed Thread