Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Great Cocktails

[ QUOTE ]
There's no real answer to that question. You have a drinking problem when drinking becomes a problem, not after N weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the past I smoked alot of cigarettes which I believe became a physical addiction after about 10 days. So I'm heading to san jose costa rica again this week. They have the finest beer known to man, called Imperial. I would like to drink this beer every day for the three weeks that i'm there. That's why i was asking.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 AM

Having a beer or two every day won't be a problem for most people. Having 20 a day will be a problem for most people. Where your drinking plans fall in this spectrum and how your body deals with alcohol compared "most people" only you can answer.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Now that I know I can safely have a drink or two a day. Can anyone name a GREAT COCKTAIL that has less dehydrating effects then others. I seem to get very dried up the next day when i have drinks containing designer vodka's and gin's and such.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 AM

There's not a great work around for that. Alcohol is a diuretic, and there's nothing you can do about it. All you can do is generally avoid drinks that contain a lot of sugar or caffeine. However, if you're planning to get to a certain level of wasted, that will correspond to a certain minimum level of dehydration. Just drink more water as you go along is the best advice.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 PM

I think that people might want to be also careful mixing any diet sodas with alcohol because I believe it has been proven that the fake sugar gets you (more?) drunk, faster.

I think there is some distinction between a true cocktail and mixed drinks, but I will give my contributions anyhow:

Here is a drink that I created and think it is great, for a "girly" drink. You might need to get the genuine specific ingredients for it to come off as well, but generic alternatives might be okay. I know that there are Japanese grocery stores in driving range of some smaller cities I have lived, and NYC etc should all have them.

1 part+ plum wine - Real plum wine, with little green plums floating in it. The types you can find at most liquor stores is grape wine with flavoring and is fairly different.

1 part+ raspberry vodka - I used stolis, maybe something else is fine

1.5-2? parts lemon tea - home made or Snapple would probably be okay, but if you wander to a Japanese grocery, you may as well get the 1.5L squareish plastic bottle (yellow color) of Kirin lemon tea.. I think that the specific ingredients might have been what made this so good, IDK. It was extremely smooth with very little alcohol flavor and not too sweet. Most liquor stores will have a big bottle of the cheaper plum wine for like $10, so it is worth trying if you have never had it. I would avoid Fu-Ki brand and go for the more genuine looking brands that make sake as well.

--

I came across this recipe and really want to try it, also the stuff with Campari and creme de cacao that you guys mentioned. I love Chartreuse and want to try all of the other strange liqueurs that are out there

Le Petit Hiboux (Little Owl, named after a Manhattan restaurant)

* 2 ounces Pinot Blanc or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
* 2 ounces Lillet Blanc
* 2 ounces apple juice

Lillet is some mix of wines and fruit brandy. This seems like a similar formula to my drink.

--

Last one, I never actually put alcohol in this since I was only 18 and just made it randomly working as a server at a bar. I have no clue how something with no mint in it tasted somewhat "minty" but it did. Maybe I am just messed up in the head or the specific ingredients/environment made it taste weird.

mint tea with no mint

95% generic unsweetened tea (the type bars make huge vats of, probably Lipton)

brown raw cane sugar - probably 2 packets worth

squeeze of 1 wedge each lime, lemon, orange

dash of 7-up (or whatever generic citrus soda they may have used)

I swear it tasted like regular iced tea with fresh mint sprigs in it and nothing like the citrus parts of it, but I have no clue if I could recreate it. I love mixing alcohol with tea, but it probably isn't for everyone. I have no clue what alcohol I would want in this, just something random if someone wants to try.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM

Pint glass with lots of ice, into which you pour-

Bombay Sapphire

Mandarin Vodka(think I used absolut, any you like should do)

Tonic

Lime optional

I wish I could be more accurate with measurements, but I like Bombay so much, that it's almost impossible for me to mix one of these I don't like. Never more Mandarin than Sapphire though, and almost always really strong.

I guess a few outside opinions would help me decide if this is really any good, or if I just have an unhealthy obsession with gin.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is sublime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me correct myself. This is a wonderfully flavored drink for people that enjoy the above ingredients. For those of you that don't like them, this drink is really offensive, but hilarious to serve a person that thinks it's a Black Russian.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 AM

I had a number of decent cocktails over Thanksgiving including some Black Velvets, but one that you non-whiskey lovers might use to ease into the good stuff was a New Yorker:

2 oz. Whiskey
1 oz. Lemon or Lime Juice (taste dependent)
1 tsp. Sugar Syrup
1/2 tsp. Grenadine

Shake over ice, strain into a cocktail/martini glass and garnish with a lemon or lime.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM

I recently purchased these stemless cocktail glasses. Guys always seem to have a problem with cocktail glasses because they aren't manly enough - this should solve that problem. Also, they are excellent because stem breakage is now impossible and they're much more difficult to spill.

I got them at Marshall's for $14.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 AM

I never understood the aversion to a traditional cocktail glass. If it's good enough for Sinatra, it's good enough for me. I think that the aversion is because recently they've been too often filled with things that are pink and not enough gin and whiskey, and then the aversion to things that are pink gets displaced to the glasses. Looks like a pretty nice set, though.

I've actually never had whiskey with lime before. I've long been a fan of whiskey with lemon (and usually something else...like Benedictine...mmmmmmmmm), but I've been nervous about its interaction with lime. Does it work?