Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Describe some of the most exciting at-bats you\'ve witnessed.

Let's get this out of the way: ZOMG Pujols wrecked Lidge with a bomb that hasn't landed yet!!!11!

Here are some coolest at-bats I remember most.

On TV: I saw Alex Cora's 18-pitch at-bat a few years ago against then Cub Matt Clement. He fouled off like 14 pitches in a row, then went yard, and IIRC, it was Clement's last batter of the night. Even D. Baker thought he'd thrown too many pitches.

I also remember watching an at-bat on TV from about 1992 where Ray Lankford was up with the bases loaded, and with 2 outs and a 3-2 count, kept fouling pitches off before launching a granny over the centerfield fence at Busch Stadium.

Others I remember in-person: Seeing Cardinals Mark Whiten (of 4 homerun, 12 rbi fame) launch a 464 foot homer that sailed by his face on the screen beyond the Right-Center bleachers. Before the ball left the infield I knew it was going to be the farthest ball I'd seen hit.

2001, I saw Bonds hit #70 late in the season off of some left-handed scrub Astro reliever. It was a towering shot. This one landed in the upper deck in right-center and was measured at 454 IIRC.

Of course there have been others that I probably can't remember right now. Also, surely most of us saw McGwire's #62 off Trachsel, etc.

Tell us about obscure AB's you witnessed!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Describe some of the most exciting at-bats you\'ve witnessed.

[ QUOTE ]

On TV: I saw Alex Cora's 18-pitch at-bat a few years ago against then Cub Matt Clement. He fouled off like 14 pitches in a row, then went yard, and IIRC, it was Clement's last batter of the night. Even D. Baker thought he'd thrown too many pitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread title
Old 05-05-2007, 10:46 PM

Yeah, people seem to know about the Cora ab.

The Kirk Gibson AB in game 1 of the 88 W.S. deserves recognition.
It wasn't just the HR to win the game. But he also fouled off a number of pitches off Eckersly before hitting the winner.

Related: Does anyone know the record for foul-balls in a single AB? I've been trying to find this forever.
Somewhere back in the day I swore I heard that Al Oliver had 21 fouls in a single ab but I've never been able to confirm it and I only heard it the one time and now I think I might have imagined it or dreamt it or something.

prohorn - I was at the game when Whitten hit his 4 HR's.
It was game 2 of a really late, rain-delayed DH in Cincinnati.
The first game was 15-14.
Then the 2nd game started at 11:00pm or so after the 3 RD's so pretty much everyone left.

Then by the 8th inning it was 8-1 so almost everyone who did stay for game 2 took off for their cars also.

But I was there, along with maybe 2,000 others, to actually see him tee off on Dibble to straight-CF for his 4th of the game.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM

1993, Candlestick Park. The Giants had scored 4 runs in the 8th inning to tie the game at 5 off Marlin's closer Bryan Harvey. With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, Robby Thompson jacks a 2-2 fastball from Harvey into the left field bleachers for the win.

1988, Mets vs. Dodgers on NBC Saturday game. I remember the Mets had the lead in the 8th, and I think there were two runners on. Randy Myers had a 3-2 count on Rick Dempsey. The next 10 pitches are all fastballs, between 95-98 mph, and Dempsey fouled each one straight back. Dempsey finally gets one he can handle, but flies out left.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM

Not obscure, but...

Mookie Wilson in Game 6 of the 1986 WS. With a 2-2 count, he barely (and I mean barely) fouled off a tough pitch before the wild pitch that tied the game. Then, he fouled off 3 more before hitting the dribbler under Buckner's legs.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

prohorn - I was at the game when Whitten hit his 4 HR's.
It was game 2 of a really late, rain-delayed DH in Cincinnati.
The first game was 15-14.
Then the 2nd game started at 11:00pm or so after the 3 RD's so pretty much everyone left.

Then by the 8th inning it was 8-1 so almost everyone who did stay for game 2 took off for their cars also.

But I was there, along with maybe 2,000 others, to actually see him tee off on Dibble to straight-CF for his 4th of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that is awesome. I was only like 13 at the time, but I did remember in was in Cincinatti. I had no idea there were only 2k people there though. I remember the highlights that night and they were like "Look at these fans in Cincy, showing respect for a truly great performance" or whatever.. That's crazy that you were there. Maybe I saw you on the highlights? I do recall seeing a short bald guy.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 PM

One more memorable one, as a Phillies fan. In 1993 (woohoo!), the Phils had a doubleheader at home against the Padres. They played through about 47 rain delays for whatever reason to squeeze in both games (I guess the Padres weren't coming back to Philly later in the year). The second game went extra innings and the Phillies ran out of bench players, so Mitch Williams had to come to the plate and ended up getting the game winning hit at 4:40 AM, leading Harry Kalas to inexplicably call him "Mitchy Poo". I actually went to the game, but left some 6 hours earlier during the 23rd rain delay.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99307022.shtml
Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM

Mickey Mantle lines a home run, batting left-handed, over the 467 sign in left-center in Yankee Stadium. Ball rockets out.

But that was not the exciting at bat. Next time up, oh-and-two, he bunts for a base hit.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:34 PM

Bill Madlock's random late August 87 AB that allowed him to get on. This opended the door for his 1 month takeout slide on Tony Fernandez. tight race, Tigers win the east!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

video

I'd managed to miss this one somehow, but it's awesome.