Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Default A very difficult roommate situation

During the summer, many students who live in apartments sublet their rooms. People stay in their apartment rooms and pay the students a monthly cost to do so. The student can get back some of the money paid out on rent when they aren't there.

My roommate (call him Joe) ended up "subletting" his room out to a friend of his. It was supposed to be for six weeks. However, Joe was also technically living in the same location as he was despite spending most of his time at his girlfriend's apartment. In a sense, it wasn't subletting as much as it was him temporarily sheltering a friend since he had no place to live around campus.

The only problem is that doing this is a major breach of the apartment contract signed by the students. The owners of the apartment complex (or relatives of theirs) came by the apartment stating that they heard that Joe was sheltering a person for an extended period of time. Joe was notified that a $100 fine must be paid for every day his friend stayed here! As college students, there is no way either of them have enough to pay them off since he's been here for over 3 weeks. It was also said that the fine is non-negotiable. The friend needs to be out ASAP.

Myself and Joe also suspect that one of the other roommates (the apartment houses four people) might have ratted him out. Very few people knew about this situation. One is 3 hours from here (the guy I'm subletting from), myself and Joe didn't tell anybody. So, the only person that could squeal and does know is the lone female roommate.

A few questions arise from this:

-Who should pay the fine(s)? Should it be the roommate who housed his friend or should it be his friend for taking him up on the offer? Both of them knew it was against the contract, but did this anyway. Is it best to split the costs?

-Should anything be done about the potential squealer? Myself and Joe personally do not like this person too much and the feelings might be mutual.

-Joe's friend, who is enrolled in classes at University Park will have no place to stay. Does Joe have an obligation to help find his friend another place to stay?

Cliff's Notes:
-Roommate illegally "subletted" his room to a friend
-Apartment complex owners found out and demand a $100 fine per day the friend was here (over 3 weeks). Neither of them can pay that much in fines and it is non-negotiable.
-Other roommate might have ratted him out about this issue

Any other thoughts or opinions?