Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Default out of position: outplayed by gamblers

Ok, here is something that happend quite often lately.
(itīs full ring NL25, NL10 by the way.)

To my left sits a player who came to gamble.
He realises that I sometimes fold when I think I am beat.
He now starts to push me off of my hands agressivly.

He cold-calls all my preflop raises.
When I c-bet, he calls. When I second-barrel the turn, he will raise pot-size often. If I donīt, then he will bet potsize. When I donīt c-bet, he will always bet the flop pot-size, and he will bet the turn pot-size again.

Now when I asked other players how to defend, they say something like "Heīs putting in money with the worst hand often, you just value-bet your good hands and youīll get rich."
But that is not the answer.

The problem is, his turn play shows an immidiate profit if I lay down my hand just 51% of the time.
(And I donīt have high implied odds, because when heīs betting like this when his 86o missed the flop and the turn, heīs really not gonna call if I shove.)
Now even if I loosen up a bit, I have a half-decent made hand or a reasonable draw a lot less then 51%.

So how do I tackle his agression?
I found three answers but none of them "feels" right:
1. play for stacks w/ overcards or w/ a pocket pair that makes 3rd pair when flop comes
2. play postflop as normal, but stop preflop-raising hands like AK for value because I donīt have a made hand by the turn often enough
3. accept that position is so powerfull that someone whoīs reckless and has a decent read on me (I donīt like to get stacked w/o a hand) can outplay me by habitualy cold-calling legit raises w/ 86o, and then continuing like described above.

I hope that none of the above is true.

Whatīs your answer?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: out of position: outplayed by gamblers

With a guy like that, there are a couple of approaches that I've had some success with:

1. Get up. You don't have to play him. This is always an option. If your not in a gambling mood, move to another table.
2. Tighten up. Don't give up playing AK, but do give up playing some of the hands in the bottom of your range.

...snip...
(And I donīt have high implied odds, because when heīs betting like this when his 86o missed the flop and the turn, heīs really not gonna call if I shove.)
...snip...

Shove more.

3. Check raise for value on the turn with top pair hands. There are going to be times when you get all in with AJ on a J high board. It's volatile. He will have a hand once in a while.
4. Check raise your semi-bluffs more.

The hardest thing to get used to is playing much bigger pots with weaker hands than your used to. You have to be comfortable with that or he'll push you around all day, you'll be miserable, go on tilt, etc, etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 AM

Agree to ActionStan, especially to 3 and 4. Plus: try lame things like small, weakish looking bets on flop and turn with good made hands (including TPTK against that kind of villain) then go for a big 3bet if raised.
Basically the key is to get REALLY aggressive in the right spots. Besides, patience is extremely important here. I'd never stand up with such a player at my table but rather wait for the few spots where I can win big pots from him.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Try to sit with position on these players where possible.

Run the stack a donk line with your overpairs and TPTKs. Raise preflop --> big cbet on flop --> Check raise all in turn.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:23 PM

I'll sit with them in position. But, it's so friggin miserable to sit with them oop. It kills your play in the CO and hijack. I think there's a lot to be said for getting up in the great big world of online poker where you can easily pick tables that suit you. That's certainly true for my style of play which involves raising a large range from the last 3 positions. When that is effectively reduced to one, I don't know, I think I can do better elsewhere.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM

C-bet less often with your weak hands (like second pair or whatever) to keep the pot smaller.

Check-raise turn with good hands and good draws.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM

i'd say you really aren't running into all that many players who are 'realizing' that you are folding or whatever. it probably just feels like it at times. if they are really crazy playing every pot gamblers, just treat tptk as the nuts and get it in.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM

I think your overestimating your competition. You can do the thing people are suggesting, just make sure that you're checking to an aggressive player and not somebody who just calls alot.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 PM

last 2 have good points. just b/c he is always betting when you are weak doesn't mean he is reading you extremely well.
he is most likely just overplaying his hands and picking up on obvious weakness.
pick spots and get very aggressive in them. the biggest advantage these guys have is people are afraid to buckle down and accept variance. be prepared to stack off or stack him off lighter than you'd expect.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM

bump -

I think as your ranges and selective aggression improve that you will have less and less trouble with this. Renton's well may hold some of the answers that you seek. I didn't realize it until just now, but I took down a quote from Renton's well and have been adapting it into my game even though it hasn't been top of mind. Now that I just read the quote again I see that my game has really flourished in that particular area. Read, study, ponder and get better.