Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Radical Leftist group calls for Bush/Cheney impeachment

[ QUOTE ]
In 1950, the Nuremberg Tribunal defined Crimes against Peace (in Principle VI.a, submitted to the United Nations General Assembly) as

(i) Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;
(ii) Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the acts mentioned under (i).

Bush is a war criminal by the very principles the US helped draft after WWII. Simple as that. He's in the company of almost every US President since WWII, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what international treaties, agreements or assurances were violated?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In 1950, the Nuremberg Tribunal defined Crimes against Peace (in Principle VI.a, submitted to the United Nations General Assembly) as

(i) Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;
(ii) Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the acts mentioned under (i).

Bush is a war criminal by the very principles the US helped draft after WWII. Simple as that. He's in the company of almost every US President since WWII, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, you could make a reasonable case that Resolution 1441, combined with 660, 687 and 678, authorized the use of force against Iraq. Not a very good one, though.

Not to mention, it isn't just Bush, but also Clinton and the several members of Congress, past and present, who passed into law the Iraqi Liberation Act of 1998 and the authorization for the use of force in 2003.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you don't understand what "or" means?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which one is it then kaj? treaties, agreements or assurances? what specific one? maybe its not nearly as clear cut as you think it is.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which one is it then kaj? treaties, agreements or assurances? what specific one? maybe its not nearly as clear cut as you think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he's saying is that you should read the first clause as follows:
a) Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of:
1) a war of aggression or
2) a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;

arguing that sub a(1) (as I've numbered them) has been violated, but not necessarily a(2)
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you dont understand what "war of aggression" means. The second portion was parsed out because the first clearly isnt applicable.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(i) <u>Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression</u> or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]