Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: live tells

[ QUOTE ]
People jumping up and down after looking at their hole cards and shouting "Yeeeeeesssss"

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, if someone throws their cards towards the dealer and refuses to put more chips into the pot, it usually means they are weak.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Many people will use "tells" to encourage them to do whatever their natural tendency was in the first place. They aren't comfortable just trusting their read, so they look for anything to reinforce the decision they want to make. "OMG! His left eyebrow twitched! I fold!" "You're too quiet, man, I call."

Are tells real? Absolutely. I look for them and use them. Do they make a huge difference in my rate of return live compared to online? Marginal at best. To be completely honest, I look for them more to keep my mind occupied during the slow pace of a live game than because they give me a big edge.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way you can tell somebody is a crappy player is s/he is sitting at a 6/12 table or below. Higher than that, this tell is only 50% accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find your views intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Also, I'm stealing this line.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People jumping up and down after looking at their hole cards and shouting "Yeeeeeesssss"

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, if someone throws their cards towards the dealer and refuses to put more chips into the pot, it usually means they are weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe they are leveling you by feigning weakness with this move.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM

The classic interpretation of tells is that they are the exact opposite of what someone is trying to project. Therefore, acting weak is strong and acting strong is weak.

I was playing a home game last week. The board was 4 clubs and I had an 8 of clubs in the hole. I bet and the villian went into the tank, asking me if I had a club and showing me a jack of spades for top pair and raised. Showing strength is a weak tell, so I pushed. Sure enough, he had the 7 of clubs and I doubled up.

If you are a tricky player, you would do the same thing when you have the ace of clubs with the jack, hoping that some moron like me would falsely interpret the tell. In this case, though, the villian was pretty baked and I thought that he was incapable of higher level thinking.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM

When a player peeks at his hole cards then pee's his pants, he usually has a good hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a player peeks at his hole cards then pee's his pants, he usually has a good hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It Depends.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It Depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit it. I laughed.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 PM

I admit that "tells" shouldn't be a huge part of your game as almost none are universal. But some can make a difference. For instance, you are heads up and oop.

After the flop you glance at your opponent and he is looking at you counting out chips, he is usually weak. As soon as you check, he will check behind you, therefore, when I notice this, I usually bet out no matter my cards and 2/3 times take the pot right there.

my two scents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM

the biggest tell i see is the more "poker gear" the worse the player. ie the hat, shirt, fan, orange, upside down sunglasses