Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 AM

Default tax resistance

Paying under protest
Some taxpayers pay their taxes, but include protest letters along with their tax forms. Others pay in a protesting form – for instance, by writing their check on a toilet seat or a mock-up of a missile. Others pay in a way that creates inconvenience for the collector – for instance, by paying the entire amount in low-denomination coins.

"I have heard some of my townsmen say, “I should like to have them order me out to help put down an insurrection of the slaves, or to march to Mexico, – see if I would go;” and yet these very men have each, directly by their allegiance, and so indirectly, at least, by their money, furnished a substitute. The soldier is applauded who refuses to serve in an unjust war by those who do not refuse to sustain the unjust government which makes the war…
-henry david thearuox

If only each King, Emperor, and President understood that his work of directing armies is not an honourable and important duty, as his flatterers persuade him it is, but a bad and shameful act of preparation for murder – and if each private individual understood that the payment of taxes wherewith to hire and equip soldiers, and, above all, army-service itself, are not matters of indifference, but are bad and shameful actions by which he not only permits but participates in murder – then this power of Emperors, Kings, and Presidents, which now arouses our indignation… would disappear of itself. ”
—Leo Tolstoy
Old 05-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: tax resistance

i'd guess the morality comes down to what you are coerced into doing vs what you volountarily do.

for example, you were not coerced into posting this into the wrong forum, but you did it volountarily, so the moral responsibility lies solely with you.

If you were threatened into posting this thread in the wrong forum, under coercion similiar to that which the IRS uses, you would have potentially maintained your moral highground.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:00 AM

i think the first excerpt is funny
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 AM

do you think writing a check ... and then wiping your holy-of-unholies, scrapin some chode butter on it, and then sprinkling it with dingleberries.... is a proper form of protest?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 AM

What is a politard thread doing in OOT?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:34 AM

"And it's 1, 2, 3 *'s your out at the old............"
Old 05-23-2007, 01:58 PM

OP,

Don't want to pay taxes? Does this mean you will stop using all taxpayer funded resources?

-public schools
-police/fire/ambulance
-roads and highways
the list goes on...

Why not get active in politics and try to CHANGE it if you don't like it, instead of just being a douche?

Your username says it all.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM

not sure if everyone realizes who op is... pretty standard thread
Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...e_Tax_Fund_Act

I'm very much in favor of this act, but as it hasn't happened yet I don't see it happening anytime soon. It pretty much covers all the bases of
a) i dont want to pay for a war I dont believe in
b) i do want to pay for the other things that taxes pay for. well, i'd rather not pay if I had the choice obviously, but i understand the necessity of it.

a potential problem I see with this act is that if it went into widespread use, the government would just up the percentages of the regular tax fund that they use on military spending, and not much would change.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM

-Sensei

that looks like a horrible act to me. first i am not convinced it would have enough teeth to restrict congress from manipulating the budget to still fund the military as much as they want.

secondly, and more importantly, it totally ignores the fundamental issue. it doesn't allow people to not pay taxes (or allocate their tax dollars) if they are opposed to, funding education, healthcare, welfare, farm subsidies etc etc.

being against wars isn't the only form of aggression that one can be morally opposed to.