Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: \"He who makes the money - makes the rules\"

In america first you get the money, then you get the power, then, you get the women.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In america first you get the sugar , then you get the power, then, you get the women.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Beekeeper 1: Well, very clever, Simpson, luring our bees to your sugar pile and selling them back to us at an inflated price.

Homer: Bees are on the what now?

Beekeeper 2: Simpson, you diabolical...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Fools Gold Rush In

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it about time that US currency was actually backed with something like gold or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes

[/ QUOTE ]What's so great about Gold? he asked expecting the usual litany about the intrinsic, eternal value of a yellow, shiny míneral. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Know thyself

[ QUOTE ]
The presence of testosterone in males is what causes women to get raped. If testosterone production is artificially disabled, fewer women will get raped.
<font color="white"> - </font>
Does this justify mandatory testosterone inhibition?

[/ QUOTE ]I wouldn't think so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But you gotta admit, it's better to know that our physicality determines a number of things - and to see what the hell we can do abt it.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Of course, when they say "Central Bankers", what they really mean is "the International Jews". But since that whole Nazi thing went down, the extreme-extreme-extreme right-wingers had to start veiling their ideology in more "PC" terminology. Of course, that merely proves they're oppressed, which makes them victims and martyrs. And if you tell them different, well, you're a brainwashed communist sympathizer, and you'd better watch your back.

And history repeats.

q/q
Old 06-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Fools Gold Rush In

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it about time that US currency was actually backed with something like gold or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes

[/ QUOTE ]What's so great about Gold? he asked expecting the usual litany about the intrinsic, eternal value of a yellow, shiny míneral. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember a long time ago when I pointed out that some bartering mediums are better than others, and asked you what properties are necessary for a good bartering medium?

You never did give me a straight answer.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 AM

Default In a galaxy far, far away

[ QUOTE ]
Remember a long time ago when I pointed out that some bartering mediums are better than others, and asked you what properties are necessary for a good bartering medium? You never did give me a straight answer.

[/ QUOTE ]Bartering is the straightfoward exchange of goods and/or services, without using money. Humans have been using as Money various things in History. The qualities they look for, in the material to be used as money, vary but are mostly a marriage between practicality and symbolism. Gold is a solid mineral (a metal in fact) that is relatively hard to dig up and cleanse, so it can be considered as practical for such a purpose.

Then there is the symbolic aspect of the shiny, ultra-heavy, yellow, sun-like (hey, could be life-givin'! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) matter.

Gold did the job fine. But don't ask me about its strict utilitarian qualities! It don't hayve many! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Gold simply carries, through its physical properties, a much more convincing symbolism than a small piece of colored paper with a coupla signatures on it.

Coins shoulda been pricier than bills, godamnit! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2006, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if the FR was controlled by Congress and wasn't allowed to make profit - i.e. it ceases to be a bank and instead is responsible solely for controlling the amount of money in circulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come ON, man.

Think about this logically. If the FR a government-run program, it will serve the needs of the government. You can say you want the FR to "not be allowed" to make any more money, but for something to "not be allowed" to do something, there has to be something stopping it. What would be stopping it in this case?

Congress. The very same thing that is controlling what it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm...

I'm proposing the the FR is made into an institution that is responsible for printing/control of US currency - nothing else - it's presently a privately owned corporate bank.

Perhaps getting Congress to do the controlling is a bad idea - but then who do you suggest does the controlling??

I think it needs to be controlled by the people.

My argument here is that whoever controls the money that a nations economy is based upon effectively controls that country and it's better for that control to rest with the people than some small group of people that own/run the bank.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Are depressions caused solely by inflation? - goods/services will always cost as much as the market will pay - so how can you get rid of inflation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're one of those other "libertarians," aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a confused libertarian now if that's what you mean.

As I see it there are 2 types of inflation - prices go up naturally over time - type1 - and increases in prices caused by the currency losing value - type2.

In a free market it's nigh on impossible to stop type1 inflation - it's much easier to control type2.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, when they say "Central Bankers", what they really mean is "the International Jews".

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

how do you get "International Jews" out of "Central Bankers"

interestingly these days there is a lot of terminology being bandied about that was used in the Nazi regime.

"Homeland Security" being my favourite.