Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Default cpu usage pokertracker and other stuff

So i dont have any sort of technical background in computers, and am clueless to what any of this means. I have a HP laptop thats about 2 years old now, and it really has a mind of its own. What confuses me is the inconsistancy in its operating speed. Sometimes i can have three internet windows open 5 tables PAhud and Ptracker working all together and it runs like a champ, then other times out of nowhere, it decides that poker tracker is just going to freeze for 20 minutes, or internet pages are going to not pop up. WHats the deal here? My cpu usage in windows task manager (i dont even know if this indicates anything) will go from 3% to 100% when I try to access something in pokertracker and it decides to freeze up. So what can i do, any advice to speed things up? Please laymans terms for everything!! I also can tell you i have like 40 "processes" running at once, will that mean anything? I just dont get why one minute it will be a peach and the next minute it wont run!!! HELP!!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: cpu usage pokertracker and other stuff

Download HijackThis, run it, and submit your log here. Do not fix anything yet.

How full is your hard drive? Have you ever defragged?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM

Most likely you have wayyy to much running and this conflicts with your poker playing programs. When you post your hijackthis log, we will be able to tell if you have any malware running plus be able to prune programs you don't need starting up and running in the background. This should help if not prevent the "freezing" you talked about. Another thing, pt, a hud, and a multitabler alone often take up plenty of pc resources and can lag up most pcs, so what is your pc specs? (CPU, ram, etc). Also, just checking, but you compress both your pokerdb and hhdb like pt suggests right?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 PM

Purge your PT database. Why do you need hands older than 6 or 7 months? Run fewer things, clear up space on your hard drive, get more memory.