Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: PHIL GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Oooh, Drama!
Barry Greenstein raises to $2,500 from the button and Phil Gordon moves all-in for his last $9,500 from the small blind. Player 1 calls all-in for his last $2,000 from the big blind, and shows 54o to Gordon's A-7 and Greenstein's K-J. The board comes J-T-9-7-2 and Greenstein pairs his jack to send both players to the rail. Then the drama starts.

As Gordon gets up to leave, he complains about the nature of his beat, and the normally reserved Erik Cajelais asks him, "why don't you just take your beat and leave?"

Gordon, flabbergasted, stops packing to stare down Cajelais. "What the f-what the hell is your problem?"

"Just take your beat and leave," says Cajelais. "You'll be fine."

"We'll meet again," says Gordon, again starting to leave.

"You don't go deep enough in tournaments," says Cajelais. "We'll never meet."

Now Gordon, obviously more than a little irritated by the beat and the French-Canadian, spreads his arms in a show of strength and tells Cajelais, "Any time you want to go, we'll go."

He walks out, still repeating "anytime," as Cajelais agrees with him, "Anytime." But Gordon vanishes into the night, and Cajelais sticks around to count his chips and relax, knowing there's probably a Day 2 in his future.
Blinds: $400/$800
Ante: $100

From the Wsop Circut event yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oooh, Drama!
Barry Greenstein raises to $2,500 from the button and Phil Gordon moves all-in for his last $9,500 from the small blind. Player 1 calls all-in for his last $2,000 from the big blind, and shows 54o to Gordon's A-7 and Greenstein's K-J. The board comes J-T-9-7-2 and Greenstein pairs his jack to send both players to the rail. Then the drama starts.

As Gordon gets up to leave, he complains about the nature of his beat, and the normally reserved Erik Cajelais asks him, "why don't you just take your beat and leave?"

Gordon, flabbergasted, stops packing to stare down Cajelais. "What the f-what the hell is your problem?"

"Just take your beat and leave," says Cajelais. "You'll be fine."

"We'll meet again," says Gordon, again starting to leave.

"You don't go deep enough in tournaments," says Cajelais. "We'll never meet."

Now Gordon, obviously more than a little irritated by the beat and the French-Canadian, spreads his arms in a show of strength and tells Cajelais, "Any time you want to go, we'll go."

He walks out, still repeating "anytime," as Cajelais agrees with him, "Anytime." But Gordon vanishes into the night, and Cajelais sticks around to count his chips and relax, knowing there's probably a Day 2 in his future.
Blinds: $400/$800
Ante: $100

From the Wsop Circut event yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 PM

i dont care for him that much. I dont like his commentary at all.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM

gabe is with out a doubt the best. the way he talks about the hands is amazing. gordan always does commentary as someone who knows both hands, unlike gabe who puts himself in each players shoes. howard is also great for this but gabe has a better personality.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i planned on reading his little green and blue books eventually, but he said on PAD that he waits until just before the deadline, then frantically writes it all out.
i'm glad i heard him say that because there's two books i won't be reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they are quite good. You do realize that he was probably exaggerating a bit, right?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 AM

Here's the real scoop on the guy: Gordon is just one of a whole host of players who were independently wealthy and just happened to be playing a whole bunch of poker tournaments (and thus going deep in at least some poker tournaments) right when the poker boom started (2001-2003). If I had to guess, I'd have to say that he probably was -EV in the tourneys he was playing in at the time, and was only playing as a hobby because he loved the game, but people found him engaging, and he had a (by poker standards) pretty face, so of course those who produced Poker TV shows were fixated.

There's nothing wrong with this, but it definitely explains why he gets so much attention when his game is so clearly average.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 AM

Despite what Gordon says and how he behaves at the table, I still think that he didn't make any mistakes in his PAD session. That either shows how simple Poker is, or he manages to disguise his skill rather well.

Konik on the other hand played like a complete idiot and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually is one, at least in Poker.

The guy who really surprised me was Mr. Kotter. He can play.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:42 AM

I generally don't mind his commentary, but the small nit I have to pick is with his work on the ESPN Equalizer Final Table - Alan Cunningham got into a fairly animated conversation about his WSOP Final Table experience with Jamie Gold, but Gordon was constantly talking over it about the hand in play. No offense, but given the amount of poker on tv, I think the hand analysis can rest every once in awhile - let the players talk for themselves.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the real scoop on the guy: Gordon is just one of a whole host of players who were independently wealthy and just happened to be playing a whole bunch of poker tournaments (and thus going deep in at least some poker tournaments) right when the poker boom started (2001-2003). If I had to guess, I'd have to say that he probably was -EV in the tourneys he was playing in at the time, and was only playing as a hobby because he loved the game, but people found him engaging, and he had a (by poker standards) pretty face, so of course those who produced Poker TV shows were fixated.

There's nothing wrong with this, but it definitely explains why he gets so much attention when his game is so clearly average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It doesn't make him a "douche" that he was simply in the right place at the right time.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 AM

I agree. Maybe he has some douch-like tendancies, but I really enjoyed his commentary on the WSOP PPV. He did a great job with no hole-card cam and 13 or so hours to fill. Overall, I think he's been positive for the game.