Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Toughest school to get into debate (Cal Tech vs. Harvard)

[ QUOTE ]
Cal != Cal Tech

[/ QUOTE ]

good thing i looked up the stats on Cal Tech.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you just summed up why MIT is harder to get into than the Ivies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really - it's a lot harder to have connections than it is to be "smart." And it's even harder to have both connections and be "smart." Haven't you taken ANY basic set theory?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 AM

SBR,

I know this will come as a great shock to you, but many MIT students have a hard time having their authority questioned, even though they have done nothing to demonstrate their authority besides being at MIT.

I love this school.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MIT, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope the stuff you write at MIT is better than the posts you make, because your posts are, on the university scale, university of phoenix quality.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Wow.

First, I think CalTech is harder to get into than MIT. Furthermore, I think CalTech is a better school than MIT.

Not all kids who go to Ivey league schools are smart. I'd guess that about 1 in 3 are either legacies or athletes with significantly lower test scores (of course there are some exceptions, however). And to answer your question dbz I'm taking 510 in the Spring.

Out of curiosity I looked up the acceptance rate at IIT and it looks like it's around 2%. Unbelievable.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope the stuff you write at MIT is better than the posts you make, because your posts are, on the university scale, university of phoenix ON MAIN STREET quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-24-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It isn't close? Stop being an idiot. It obviously is close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loled at this
Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM

I go to caltech so i may be biased.

It's hard to compare caltech to harvard because they are looking for different things. Are we talking hardest for a specific individual to get into or the school where the smallest population could get into or the school whose least qualified ? Perhaps a good way to do it would be to measure which school's least qualified accepted student was most qualified. I'm pretty sure Harvard would lose this.

I think MIT and caltech are pretty comparable. It is a similar crowd taht applies to each school, so you would think caltech would get a higher concentration of smarter people, but I think they are pretty close. I don't really have any evidence to support this though. I have heard that caltech is slightly more merit based in the acceptance phase while MIT does some things to admit more women and perhaps other minorities.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM

I think the qualifications for the schools are different. Harvard is really looking for something that makes you stand out besides being smart. "Connections" could be one of those things, but it doesn't have to be. I went to Harvard, and have no connections of this sort. Harvard is more likely to accept famous actresses, olympic medalists, and musical prodigies than Cal Tech (at least this is my impression; I didn't apply to any technology schools so I have no first hand knowledge). This may result in the student body at Harvard appearing "less qualified" if you look at SAT scores and GPA, but who is to say that those are the things that make you qualified for any given college.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 PM

How big is CalTech?

I don't know a lot about CalTech first hand, and obviously given the genre of the school it probably the closest MIT in terms of being able to compare, but I've heard the personalities of the two schools are quite different, which can affect who applies to them.

Also, as a girl, part of the reason I didn't apply to CalTech was because I had heard it is mostly guys. It is interesting to think that if we generalize my thought processes to other females that this may continue the cycle.

And then, and again I don't know much about CalTech (I was really lame about college research), but where is CalTech in the softer sciences such as bio? i.e. would it be a place that premeds would gravitate towards. I also have a feeling that the presence of Sloan changes our demography in a significant way.

I was tempted to maybe look into transferring simply because, hello, california.

Frankly, I think the person who said Julliard hit it on the head as far as one of the hardest schools to get into. Frankly any conservatory program is going to be mad hardcore. Honestly, I think as SBR pointed out, as far as any of the brand name schools go it IS close as to how "hard" it is to get in, and the judgements end up being very fine and subjective in admissions, which is why someone can be accepted at some of the schools and rejected by others for no apparent rhyme or reason. Which is why I think if you think you're qualified for any you might as well go for them because, what have you got to lose?

And who knows, even if you are retarded you might get lucky. God knows there's enough evidence to support that on this campus. A lot of apps(or even, omg, life) is just finding a way to stand out.