Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Advice on marrying a foreigner for citizenship

Heres the situation. I have a female friend in my graduate program who is from Taiwan. She is in a few of my work groups and I've learned she is having trouble getting hired in the U.S. because of Visa issues. We have a sizable amount of foreign students, so I overhear a decent amoung of these conversations. A couple of months ago I heard her joke that maybe match.com was her best bet. Classes end in May and she would have to leave the U.S. within 15-30 days of that time.

Its not like she would be returning to a desperate situaion by any means, but I know she strongly wants to remain in the States. Among the more typical reasons of opportunity, I get the feeling her parents are pretty repressive with her even at 26.

I've debated offering to get a legal marriage for her to stay in the States. My family isn't particularly religious and I would seriously doubt they would be offended. Financially and career wise, she is much more advanced than me. I wouldn't be risking any financial ruin. I wouldn't be looking to gain anything by it, either. After a few years, I assume she would become more integral to a company and they would likely sponsor her for a visa after our "divorce." I'm not seriously dating anyone and would be a few years away from being set career-wise even if I want to "actually" get married.

While she is attractive, I don't have any romantic connection to her. The cultural differences just seem too big. I don't have an alterier motives here.(Though if a few "honeymoon" nights were offered in the package I wouldn't object) Just trying to help a nice person out in something that doesn't seem to affect me a great deal.( Not that I've taken it lightly)

I'm posting this to see if I'm missing any major pitfalls of offering this to her. I wouldn't want to suggest it unless I was 100% ready to go through with it. While I guess I'd be screwed if I hit the lottery, or she developed a massive gambling problem,( I assume there would be some way to keep finances seperate) the likely course of things don't really seem too problematic. Anyone have any experiences with this sort of thing. Any hidden threats?Future girlfriends flipping out? Not being able to get jobs because it putting you on a government watch list? etc. Thanks

Ciff notes: Thinking of marrying a friend so she can stay in the U.S. No real family, financial or emotional risk on my part. Anything unforseen I should worry about?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Advice on marrying a foreigner for citizenship

[ QUOTE ]
...I've debated commiting a felony to get a legal marriage for her to stay in the States.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being part of the problem

things like this make it harder for legitimate immigrants.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything unforseen I should worry about?

[/ QUOTE ]

prison?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I've debated commiting a felony to get a legal marriage for her to stay in the States.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being part of the problem

things like this make it harder for legitimate immigrants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its a matter of symantics, but I wouldn't consider her an "illegitimate" immigrant. She is here legally on a student visa. She is a Chem major undergrad and will soon have her MBA. After a couple of years working in Taiwan, it would be fairly reasonable that she would be granted a Visa based on her expertise.

I realize this is a rose-colored view, but I would view this as drastically different than people marrying strangers from Eastern Europe for $10,000.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 PM

he's saying you would turn her into an illegitimate immigrant.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM

i think a lot of future girls wouldn't be happy if you did this. They view the sanctity of marriage is pretty important.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anything unforseen I should worry about?

[/ QUOTE ]

prison?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this truely be an issue? Meaning to people actually get prosecuted for this type of thing? It would seem to be hard to prove considering for all intents and purposes we have enough connect where we could want to legitimately get married. Not that I would want to go through the hastle of trying to defend myself.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

it worked for me.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think a lot of future girls wouldn't be happy if you did this. They view the sanctity of marriage is pretty important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now, that is the biggest concern for me. I would like to the other person would be understanding and realize it was done for altruistic reasons, I can understand that it would still create a certain stigma.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 PM

doesn't seem like a good idea to me. i am a canadian who will be (legitimately) marrying an american this summer, so i know a little bit about the process.

would it be hard for them to catch you? maybe, but the risk is there. before she gets a green card, you'll both be interviewed, during which they are going to be looking for proof that this thing is legit. i haven't got there yet, but who knows, they might ask for references. do you know people that are going to be willing to perjure themselves by saying you guys are a legit couple if the government asks them for a sworn statement of some kind?

also, note that it will take about 6-8 months for a green card, and then another several years (i think 4 or 5, but i'm not entirely sure) to be eligible for citizenship. i don't know what kind of impact a divorce would have on a)her ability to keep her green card and b) her ability apply for citizenship, though it is probably something you'd want to look into.