Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 PM

Default 50 NL: Open Trips

Villian has been very agressive when he's in a pot, but running just slightly loose pre-flop.

Hero is fairly laggy in from MP on when the pot is unopened as the players to my left tended to be very tight.

Like this line? Dislike this line?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($45.75)
CO ($54.80)
Button ($95.75)
SB ($16.05)
BB ($9.55)
UTG ($58.60)
UTG+1 ($54.75)
MP1 ($53.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, CO calls $3.50.

Turn: ($11.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $34.75
Old 01-22-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Open Trips

I like it.

Problem is that he didn't cooperate and bet enough on the turn for you!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Open Trips

now this is the reason i hate people calling us nits. nice hand. i dont see a problem with it at all. donks are sooo stupid. they bet small in position planning to fold to a raise. lol.

you obviously know how much to bet if you didnt want to c/r. it sounds like against this guy you may have made more by betting out. if you are goin to c/r i do it on the flop when villian has the hopes of 2 cards to outdraw you or feels that you have at best a k. this is a hand that needs to be played differently depending on the hu dynamics of you and villian.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: 50 NL: Open Trips

Dal -

I am not sure what type of hand that I'd normally Check-Raise on this flop after raising preflop. Perhaps there is a leak in my game, but I really wouldn't CR here often. It doesn't represent that much IMO.

Leading is something I'll do here very frequently after I raise preflop and with the king up, I think it is very difficult for him to put me on the open trips.

A check on the turn was certainly designed to either allow a weak hand floating me to bluff, or a decent King to try and bet for value. I think we may lose both of those if we lead on the turn.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 AM

i think this is fine
Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 AM

I think you got about as much as you could out of him here. Villains will sometimes call cbets after obvious blind steals pretty lightly hoping you'll give up on the turn and they can take it away from you, or they hope to improve, or they figure they likely have the best hand. So he may be calling that flop bet with any pair or a naked Ace. Your check induces him to take a stab at it, but once you show any real strength he's not sticking around.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 AM

I wish I could say I'd play it the same way, but I wouldn't... although I may start now!

I like it, nh.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 AM

Well played. I need to learn to check the turn with good cards from time to time.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Hi Guys,

About the turn check, are we not worried here about giving a free card on a very draw heavy board?

There is a flush draw and multiple possible str8 draws for the kinds of hands villian is likely to have QT, JT, AT, etc
Old 01-23-2007, 10:26 AM

Hum, I don't like it, I hope you won't be made at me.

I don't understand which hand can call the turn raise except 9x/KJ. If you lead the turn and get called you could assume he has a king, weak lead the river and call a raise. AK/KJ even KQ/KT if you are laggy and firing enough second barrel will call a turn bet.

IMHO this line is far to strong and yeld "I got A9/K9/J9/KK/JJ/QsTs". A weak/competent player would fold any K including AK facing this strong c/r. You made your hand transparent allonwing your opponent to make the perfect decision. I can even fold KJ/98s/97s here if I am playing my A-game. If you want to get some value from weaker hand like pp just c/c the turn and weak lead the river or c/c the river. If you want to get some value from a K, lead the turn and the river.