Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Recent Vegas trip highlights my poor play-kind of a rant

Just got back from Vegas and I thought I played very poorly. One hand in particular kind of highlights the stupid stuff that I did all week.

Had been at the table for less than an hour. Villain was pretty loose passive from what I could tell but had probably seen only about 20 hands from him.

Hero in MP with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

EP limps, Hero calls, CO limps, blinds complete

Flop (4 SB)

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks,BB bets, EP calls, Hero raises, CO folds, SB folds BB 3bets, EP Folds, Hero calls

Turn (5 BB)

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls

This is the reason that I posted. I do this type of stupid crap all the time but I just can't seem to help myself. The only things that Villain could've had when he raises the turn is a ten, 9, or PP but I go ahead and build his hand for him. My AF is through the roof and I'm a very marginal winner after about 45k hands. Anyway, if you're curious a diamond hit on the river and I paid off his 4 or a kind with a flush.

Note- I know this is SSSH and this is a B&M full ring game but I think that this points out how I play all too often in 6max online games. Also note that the hand is mainly from memory but is pretty close.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Recent Vegas trip highlights my poor play-kind of a rant

I'm not sure what your asking for here? You seem to know you played the hand poorly and where it went wrong. If you can't figure out what makes you make these mistakes, maybe you should be looking more into the psychological side of your game. In particular discipline, patience, effects of alcohol.

-Caddy
Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM

I check behind on this turn, betting is only gonna get you into trouble!...also after his c/r on the turn i think you pretty much have 2 outs for the str8 flush so i would prolly dump it.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:14 PM

you hand is absolutely awful and he's folding like never. very bad bet, but then you know that.

what were you playing in vegas?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM

dont raise this flop.

True
Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Raise preflop.

I don't know about the flop, apparently don't raise, but I would have. True will have to explain.

Check turn and thank him for a free draw at the straight flush.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

I don't know about the flop, apparently don't raise, but I would have. True will have to explain.

Check turn and thank him for a free draw at the straight flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

small pot, paired board, lose 2/3 big bets on turn as a huge favourite to perhaps get a free card.

True
Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 AM

I'm with True, I don't raise the flop unless its one of those live tables where everyone willing to call two cold with god knows what.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 PM

I was playing 4/8 at the MGM. On the flop I pretty much did it to get the free card. On the flop we have only two players who have yet to act after me. If I raise and get called by both BB and EP then I make as much as if I call and the other two call along which won't happen that much. I was also thinking that I'd have a much better chance to win if I paired my Q or J with a smaller field. However, I can understand why True said to call. I wouldn't just forgoe the flop bets but also the turn ones as well on a very good draw.

As to why I posted, it was kind of a whine (that's why I wrote that it was a rant). I've ran terribly these past three days at pokeroom (losing about 60 BB) 5 max and I think I have to move back to 2/4 from 3/6. I'm just way too aggressive postflop, I think even for 6 max. I'm always thinking "If a hand is good enough to call it's good enough to raise" or "You should rarely call when a player has bet on you'r immediate right, either raise or fold".
Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 4/8 at the MGM. On the flop I pretty much did it to get the free card. On the flop we have only two players who have yet to act after me. If I raise and get called by both BB and EP then I make as much as if I call and the other two call along which won't happen that much. I was also thinking that I'd have a much better chance to win if I paired my Q or J with a smaller field. However, I can understand why True said to call. I wouldn't just forgoe the flop bets but also the turn ones as well on a very good draw.

As to why I posted, it was kind of a whine (that's why I wrote that it was a rant). I've ran terribly these past three days at pokeroom (losing about 60 BB) 5 max and I think I have to move back to 2/4 from 3/6. I'm just way too aggressive postflop, I think even for 6 max. I'm always thinking "If a hand is good enough to call it's good enough to raise" or "You should rarely call when a player has bet on you'r immediate right, either raise or fold".

[/ QUOTE ]

what hands do you think they will fold for 2 that will give you a better chance to win with your JQ? (The TT on board makes J9 and Q9 counterfeit)

You say you "make as much with more players in". I am afraid you are thinking incorrectly here. You will only be getting 2:1 for 2 bets, than 4:1 for 1 bet. We make more money this way as our equity on the flop is probably not more than 33% required for the 2:1 to be immediately profitable. Do you See Why?

You only make money when bets go in when you have equity to bet/raise or are getting the correct pot odds when calling.

True