Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 AM

Default Starting fresh each month: I think I\'m on to something here.

Here's how it goes for me.
I'll start playing in Month X. Do well for some of it, build confidence, then hit some awful luck, followed by just standard variance that gives me some winning, losing, and breakeven sessions.

It all becomes a blur and I become discouraged from playing (with high variance in 6max, one often questions how profitable one really is).

So then I drudge along to the end of the month and usually take the last couple days off. Then I tally up my monthly totals that I'm typically unhappy with (I keep an excel spreadsheet of daily account balances which essentially tracks my winning/losing days combined with a monthly report).

Then comes the first of Month X+1. Suddenly, the slate feels clean, it's a new month, nothing from last month blemishes my record or my ego.

Every time one renews oneself, they see things clearly. Think of this analogously to new year's resolutions. People desire to better themselves and usually succeed for a couple days. The problem is these resolutions (be it new years, or month X+1) don't come often enough to maintain a steady flow of positive energy.

If I can take this positive mindset I get at the start of a month and apply it to the start of a week, start of a day, start of an hour, start of EVERY HAND, I'll have found a good place no?

I believe this concept can be applicable and beneficial in all aspects of life.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get there.
Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Starting fresh each month: I think I\'m on to something here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1577314...5Fencoding=UTF8
Old 02-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Starting fresh each month: I think I\'m on to something here.

Variance is unavoidable, but since you are noticing a pattern repeated monthly, there may be someting else at work here. Are you trying to turn a bit of solid winning play into a rush? What I mean is, do you start to take your wins and say..."I can do better?" I don't want to say that you are creating your own variance, but that may have some effect. Since negative variance is only showing up later in the month after booking some wins, are you doing things that may be self-defeating, perhaps subconsciously?