Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 PM

Default OT: Three weeks of losing

I guess I am posting this here because ou are the people I actually know. Basically, the last 3 weeks have been horrible for me pokerwise. About 5 weeks ago, I decided to pla some $530 sngs and made a nice 25k. In the last 3 weeks, I have lost it all back plus some, about 17k from 530s, 8k from 109s, and 5k from nl 6 max ranging from 1/2 - 5/10. Right now, I dont feel like I am a winning plaer at any form of poker, and that isnt good. I thiiiink I have been running pretty bad, but after so long of it, it appears to be normal. I was totally used to losing almsot every 3 outer in a sng or getting all in in cash with a 80% chance to win and losing. It has become normal...and that probably isnt good either. I went through the trouble of hiring a cash coach and, while he has been helpful, the results just arent there. I have player 15k hands of 2/4 nl in the last week or so and have been getting pwned for most of that time. So, I have one simple question. What am I to do?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: OT: Three weeks of losing

Swallow pride, play smaller, destroy people.

Winning back 25k the 'slow' (for you) way is much better than losing 10k the quick way.

Lori
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Fiery, you appear to go through these streaks somewhat badly. Also, I believe this is your second horrible run in the last several months.

My suggestion would be to make your home base at a lower level. This will do accomplish several things:

1) Lower the $ amount of downswings
2) Help you psychologically
3) Reduce the number and/or severity of the downswings (poorer players)

Do not look at it as a 'step back.' That will discourage you. Look at it as a new approach toward game/bankroll management, designed to keep your sanity while you make a living playing a game of imperfect information.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 PM

You are not alone. Trust me.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Also, I probably am too conservative in my game selection. I've crushed every level I've been at, but I move up VERY slowly. I play for a living, and have had only ONE losing week this calendar year, and no month of less than $6,000 in the black. I think that your home may be between what I do, and what you currently do.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

I totally agree with this method of handling downswings. In simple terms, you lose x downswings at y buyin and you revert to z buyin. Rinse and repeat. nh Bigwig.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 PM

That's rough to hear man, and for someone who had only 1 50 buy in downsing over 7000 $215's it must be rough. Considering you are down over 100 buy ins in sngs during these three weeks, the only thing I can think of is that you are doing something wrong. If I were in your spot, I would probobly sit out of NL for a while, and try to rebuild at something you know you can beat, or at least will be able to when you get back on track. Do what Lori said, start pwning the $55's and you should be back at the $215s in no time. Posting some hands wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 PM

why the fack in your blog did you say you were gonna move up to 8 tabling 2-4. that's not smart. go start at the 22s and work your way all the way back up. it'll be the fun challenge and hopefully teach you how to win again.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree with this method of handling downswings. In simple terms, you lose x downswings at y buyin and you revert to z buyin. Rinse and repeat. nh Bigwig.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right.

I didn't specifically say that but that's my plan. And I don't move up to my old level until I not only regained the appropriate bankroll, but have earned enough to make a good cash out. That's for psychological reasons.

I hate Steven Covey. However, one thing I have always remembered from his writing are the spheres of influence (I'm not sure I have the order correct):

Sphere 1: Things you have direct control over.
Sphere 2: Things you can influence, but cannot directly control.
Sphere 3: Things you have no control over.

It's important to pay attention to Sphere 1. This is your play, how you can improve, how many hours you put in, what level you play, etc.

Sphere 3 is how the cards fall. No matter how difficult it gets, you must try to remember that you have virtually no control over this variable.

I'm rambling now.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 PM

either variance or your playing bad (compared to your limits). my guess is it's both.