Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Help with JJ in $200 Live MTT

I never know what to do with JJ and I could use some help.

Last Friday night I played a live $200 MTT with 50 players.

The starting stack was 5,000. About half of the people had busted out.
I had 6,000 chips. Blinds were 100/200 so I was in OK shape but behind the average stack by a good bit.

I think my image was pretty tight. I'd won several pots but nothing big.

Showdowns were not very common at this table and I think I'd only shown down one hand where me and another player both flopped a nut straight and got all-in.

In general my table had quite a few good players. I was certainly not one of the best.

8 players at the table. UTG limps for 200. UTG+1 raises to 1,000. Folds to me in the CO. I have JJ.

UTG+1 is a good player and he has 5,000 in his stack. He has been pretty aggressive and certainly played in more pots than he's hit. In other words he's bluffed his fair share although not a ton. His bets are generally large and have pressured quite a few people to fold in general. His showdowns have all been with good cards. He has been willing to fold when his bluffs are challenged.

I am pretty confident that the Bu, SB, BB, and probably the limper will fold unless they have very premium hands. The 1,000 early position raise is fairly large for this table and will be respected.

Again, I have JJ. What should I do?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Help with JJ in $200 Live MTT

My default thought is someone raising utg+1 with a limper has a hand more often then not. Any reads on utg? Does he ever limp in ep? Does utg+1 over raise often? If he does has he shown anything down?

In general a bigger then normal raise usually means AK, JJ-55. You're well ahead of that range. I'd have to know how utg plays before I make a decision. If utg raises or folds in ep, my radar would going off after he limps. I like calling with position even though it's a good portion of our stack. If we call and fold the flop we'll still have 5k and in pretty decent shape.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My default thought is someone raising utg+1 with a limper has a hand more often then not. Any reads on utg? Does he ever limp in ep? Does utg+1 over raise often? If he does has he shown anything down?

In general a bigger then normal raise usually means AK, JJ-55. You're well ahead of that range. I'd have to know how utg plays before I make a decision. If utg raises or folds in ep, my radar would going off after he limps. I like calling with position even though it's a good portion of our stack. If we call and fold the flop we'll still have 5k and in pretty decent shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your plan to call and push any flop without overs?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG just recently moved to the table. He had a big stack with a lot of small chips in it. I didn't get a count but it was probably at least 15k. The table he came from was playing aggro and was the first to break, leaving several big stacks.

I was pretty confident that UTG would fold if I raised. I can't remember exactly why now.

UTG+1 had not raised very often pre-flop. He more often limped and then applied pressure later. He won most of his pots without a showdown. When he did showdown he had the goods. He was betting more often than he could have had hands though so I know he's bluffing some.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM

I ended up raising to 2000. I was pretty confident that UTG+1, the original raiser, had a good hand so I didn't want to raise too high and get us pot committed. I wanted to make sure that SB, BB, and UTG folded unless they had a really good hand.

SB, BB, and UTG did fold. UTG+1 went into the tank for a long time and raise all-in for 4000 more.

The pot is now 7500 and I have to put in 3000 to call. Calling will leave me with 1000.

What now?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM

i hate the miniraise he has a big hand but not aces and he thinks you may have aces but he applies correct tourn strategy and shoves his kk qq or ak. you have 3 options none of which are great 1. fold: you have invested nothing and lose nothing. 2. shove: your opponent will now call w 10-s to aa and ak thats it. you arent too hot against that range. but he will also fold a portion of the time .3. call and play as the best hand if no ace or king hit.you prevent the ace king from seeing all 5 cards. but he may shove the flop on you anyway. giving him 5 cards.

given all your info i like a fold.