Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Default 77 vs loose passive on a bad board

all i know about villian is he's running about 60/5

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero.....

do i set myself up for this by not betting the turn? i'm torn between betting the turn and checking the river behind, or playing it the way i played it. comments on all streets appreciated
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: 77 vs loose passive on a bad board

Since he is likely to be loose and passive, I would go ahead a bet the turn. The ideal situation is he has a naked spade or gutter and you avoid any tough decisions.

If he does raise, I call and fold river ui.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 AM

I dunno about turn. I dont mind taking the free card.

But now you kept the pot small so you cant call the river. Ever
Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 AM

This is exactly how you play vs a loose passive player. On a turn like this he will usually not raise a better hand, but he will never be folding one either. Take advantage of the free cards the L/P gives you and respect hes bets.

You can pretty much only beat a bluff on this river, easy fold.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly how you play vs a loose passive player. On a turn like this he will usually not raise a better hand, but he will never be folding one either. Take advantage of the free cards the L/P gives you and respect hes bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I donīt mind taking a free card on turn in this specific hand since the board got really ugly and even he must have a problem going to river with 22 no spades.But generally speaking it is wrong to take a freecard with a hand like 77 in similar spots since you know that you have the benefit to know that youīre beat when he raises. He could also easily still have a drawing hand or a worse made hand that pays for a turn bet and you also have slim chances to improve your own hand.
If I ever take a freecard in these situations it is a no-brainer to fold river if he bets.
IMO the way you make money against these players is to bet flop and turn if you still have showdown value and then to check river behind if you donīt have much.