Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: **** ALDS GAME 4 Tribe/Yanks (Byrd vs. Mussina)****

I'm jacked for this game! Biggest game of the year if you love baseball and you're not from one of the playoff cities, though SD/COL was huge as well.

I guess I was wrong about Wedge changing his mind (I think CC threw on the side yesterday, WTF?). Horrible move IMO, but I hope it works.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i definitely think the yankees, indians and rockies are all capable of giving boston a run for their money

[/ QUOTE ]

It's baseball. Anyone in the playoffs could win a 7 game series against anyone else in there.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

boston def has better lineup (im assuming this is in terms of hitting.)

id say wakefield and byrd are close to even as well but thats just going on stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right Boston does have the better offense. I didn't realize Hafner was having such a mediocre year and you were getting below average production from your corner outfielders. With such beasts in CF and C I kind of assumed you had found decent parts around them.

Byrd is the kind of pitcher I have absolutely no faith in for big games. Wakefield came close to winning two separate championship series MVPs and it would come as a surprise to no one if he managed seven scoreless on any given night. Byrd's low K rate, unimpressive velocity, and decent command is not enough to shut down a patient Boston offense. It would be a miracle if he completed six innings and gave up less than four runs. (I realize Byrd put up 6 IP 2 R 0 BB 1 SO performance at Fenway in May, but he did give up 9 H and I certainly think that was a fluke.)
Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Byrd did a nice job against Det in Sept to finish them off, granted they're hackers. I highly doubt he has a QS, but I hear he has the desire to.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Joba should not be available tonight. I understand the rules are off, but that'd be ridiculous.

Shapiro just said on the radio that they didn't pitch Sabathia tonight because he threw so many pitches in Game 1.

Myzyzcyzkwz hit either at or just below replacement this season. Here's the numbers:

Myzcykyzywz .277/.349/.440
Giambi .236/.356/.433

I recognize Doug has a smallish sample, but I think I like starting Myzcycyzkwyz here. Giambi hasn't been that good this season.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bullpen - Big Boston edge.
Defense - Boston edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Cleveland's bullpen is better for sure with Lewis/Perez/Betancourt. Defense is also very close to call but is a slight Boston edge at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ your analysis. Why don't you try reality instead of fantasy land analysis?

http://resultsdisoriented.blogspot.c...ver-usage.html
Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize Doug has a smallish sample, but I think I like starting Myzcycyzkwyz here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I def like starting Mien- tonight. Last night, when I saw the lineup, I was cursing Torre for playing Giambi at 1B and Matsui at DH.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Mientkiewicz is a good play here for defense and he's 6-19 career against Byrd. Giambi is 3-14 vs. Byrd and is more of a liability defensively behind Wang. I hope the Yankees win so there's a game 5. Sabathia vs. Pettitte with Carmona, Joba, and Rivera all available could be another classic.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bullpen - Big Boston edge.
Defense - Boston edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Cleveland's bullpen is better for sure with Lewis/Perez/Betancourt. Defense is also very close to call but is a slight Boston edge at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ your analysis. Why don't you try reality instead of fantasy land analysis?

http://resultsdisoriented.blogspot.c...ver-usage.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland's usage patterns don't reflect a huge disparity given that Borowski's QERA is under 4 and their relievers are otherwise deployed in a reasonable pattern with better results than the Red Sox pen.

It's also less relevant than most other factors.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Bullpens are less relevant than other factors. Borowski will get higher leverage innings than other/better players in the pen. To leave him out of the analysis is an error. Pap will do significantly better in similar leverage innings. Regardless, to exclude the person who'll be pitching the majority of high leverage innings (If manager's understood this concept) is the main error.

This is very similar to Detroit last year.