Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I feel like it's a problem, and it's making me upset, it's a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that's the point of "lol you take things too seriously"-type statements. Sometimes it just isn't a problem and people take things too damn seriously.

Everyone has a right to feel uncomfortable in whatever kind of situation they choose. That doesn't make it right though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that unless you're Asian (in the OP's case), you probably don't understand why they think it's racist.

For instance, if I'm a manager of a small office and start giving my secretary a backrub at the end of the day, my opinion of my actions (It's no big deal, she's tired, I'm just trying to be a good boss) carries very little weight. I can't say she's taking it way too seriously.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That makes it pretty clear to me that this chick wasn't being racist. Or at least there's nowhere near enough info to determine that she is racist.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO it goes to intent. She was apparently annoyed at the guy so she thought "hey, I'll do something to make fun of his heritage". That strikes me more as racist intent than ignorance. The bigger point IMO is that he shouldn't sweat something like that, and pick his battles, as was already mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly I think all these asians are getting mad because girl from OP won't date them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The other point is this and then I'm off soapbox.

We're less than 50 years removed from a time when very real, very painful very evil racism and discrimination was pervasive in this country. Frankly, I think it's a little soon to be laughing off these little coy moments of offensiveness as if we don't still face these types of issues. If posts and discussion like this serve to keep people aware, that's a fantastic thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, because I think the fact that we're less than 50 years removed from (and in fact still have) serious racism and discrimination issues is one reason not to treat this incident to seriously (not that I think OP has done that). I don't want people to get use to hearing people cry racism and thinking, "meh, get over it". Its more of a pick your battles type thing. There are serious race/religion/discrimination issues in the world today, that I don't care about [censored] like this when its quite likely thats its just a dumb girl doing something stupid without any malicious intent.

[/ QUOTE ]No racism in this country lately? I guess middle easterners aren't people.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

That makes it pretty clear to me that this chick wasn't being racist. Or at least there's nowhere near enough info to determine that she is racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

She pretty clearly demonstrated a belief about a characterstic of some race, i.e. that asian people bow.

She acted slightly dumb and v slightly racist, but who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]
May I suggest that you not ignore the rest of the definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief

You may suggest that, but it only strengthens my contention that she clearly acted in a racist manner although reasonable people shouldn't care. She directed antagonism at the people based on this belief that asian people bow. The especially part isn't necessary if that is what you are getting at.. It can even be argued that she is suggesting that asians and their culture are inferior when she mocks it.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO it goes to intent. She was apparently annoyed at the guy so she thought "hey, I'll do something to make fun of his heritage". That strikes me more as racist intent than ignorance. The bigger point IMO is that he shouldn't sweat something like that, and pick his battles, as was already mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last part is a much better way of articulating how I feel about the incident. I don't think I'd make a big production out of it because ultimately, it's pretty petty, but if I did get pissed, I think it's ok to get pissed. The girl is purposefully using my race as a means to antagonize me. This stuff builds up. You get a few of snide comments and one of these in a couple weeks, you get fed up.

FWIW asian, white, russian, black, hispanic race relations in SF are how things generally get broken down. I've never seen the whites subgrouped except into russians. People usually don't distinguish between the irish, jews, italians, and whatever except for other white people. I realize that in other places, race relations are different, but asian/white divide is probably more salient here.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
i think the point is even if her intent was to blatantly insult (who knows if that was the case) it still doesn't really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Intent is at the very heart of the matter.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
CDC,

she probably heard about your involvement in that shooting a few nights ago and was just trying to apologize and show respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, CDC, you get around. I haven't done anything except sit on my butt for three days, and you've witnessed a shooting and started a major sociological discussion.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's not racist, that's ignorant...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: most racism is driven by ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: Most ppl called Racists are not racists
Old 08-05-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She pretty clearly demonstrated a belief about a characterstic of some race, i.e. that asian people bow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowing is not a racial characteristic. If you want to be strict about it, racial characteristics would have to refer to something genetically inheritable.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The other point is this and then I'm off soapbox.

We're less than 50 years removed from a time when very real, very painful very evil racism and discrimination was pervasive in this country. Frankly, I think it's a little soon to be laughing off these little coy moments of offensiveness as if we don't still face these types of issues. If posts and discussion like this serve to keep people aware, that's a fantastic thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, because I think the fact that we're less than 50 years removed from (and in fact still have) serious racism and discrimination issues is one reason not to treat this incident to seriously (not that I think OP has done that). I don't want people to get use to hearing people cry racism and thinking, "meh, get over it". Its more of a pick your battles type thing. There are serious race/religion/discrimination issues in the world today, that I don't care about [censored] like this when its quite likely thats its just a dumb girl doing something stupid without any malicious intent.

[/ QUOTE ]No racism in this country lately? I guess middle easterners aren't people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't have very good reading comprehension: see "and in fact still have"

OR

You have poor quoting sk1llz.

Edit: Wow, using a lame leetspeak word joke on my 1337 post. Pure gold.