FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick 1
McMichael @ CHI 0 0%
Watson vs. IND 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Debate

[ QUOTE ]
And, SSNYC, you really should be taking more shots at $50s and learning from them with an 8K roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. You've got to be kidding me. If I had an 8K roll I'd play every single $50 MTT. Sigh.

Sherman
Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM

It depends.

/thread
Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 PM

"Minimum" roll for someone whose mostly playing $20 SNGS? I'd say < all the choices offered. It just sooo depends.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And, SSNYC, you really should be taking more shots at $50s and learning from them with an 8K roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. You've got to be kidding me. If I had an 8K roll I'd play every single $50 MTT. Sigh.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess but I've seen rolls bleed off pretty quick too...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM

A few things you need to do before I give you a detailed response for the first question .

What size mtt are you playing and what is your estimated roi ? The usual answer is at least 100 buy-ins but this is too generic to be right .

2)For a 128 man tourney , you would need at least :

B=-21^2/(2.41*2)ln0.01
B=421 buy-ins

Using an approximate standard deviation of 21 buy-ins and a win rate of about 60% assuming independence . I've also chosen a risk of ruin of about 1% .

So as you can see , your bankroll should be significantly higher in winner take all tournaments .

3)For a 4-man , you would need at least B=25 buy-ins as long as you're willing to move up or down when needed .
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few things you need to do before I give you a detailed response for the first question .

What size mtt are you playing and what is your estimated roi ? The usual answer is at least 100 buy-ins but this is too generic to be right .

2)For a 128 man tourney , you would need at least :

B=-21^2/(2.41*2)ln0.01
B=421 buy-ins

Using an approximate standard deviation of 21 buy-ins and a win rate of about 60% assuming independence . I've also chosen a risk of ruin of about 1% .

So as you can see , your bankroll should be significantly higher in winner take all tournaments .

3)For a 4-man , you would need at least B=25 buy-ins as long as you're willing to move up or down when needed .

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay...where can I get the cliff notes?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 AM

I'm with you ssnyc, I have a 5k roll on Poker Stars and still play $4.40 180's and $5 and $10 MTT's, and $3 rebuys. I really need to move up and take more shots at the bigger buy ins.

Some people have poor bankroll management, I'm the opposite, I protect it too much most of the time, LOL!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For you people who are over-rolled for the tournaments you currently play, I understand because I'm somewhat off a bankroll nit as well, though I play slightly higher (mostly $50-$150 mtt's and the occasional Sunday major).

Here's some advice though. Keep on playing the tournaments you feel comfortable playing and stay out of my way! No seriously, keep playing them but occasionally (occasionally meaning like 1-2 out of every 10 played) take a shot at tournament that's just above your comfort zone. Once you get a better feel for them and gain confidence you can slowly increase the number you play and before you know it, you'll be playing those exclusively.

If things don't go so well, or you feel like you're not playing well enough, you can always move back down, and keep improving until you feel ready to start taking shots again.

You will be facing tougher competition the higher you play, but at the same time it will undoubtedly make you a better player.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 AM

Sup, bankroll nits?

I think it's wrong to have an upper buy-in limit when it comes to tournaments. You can't really compare with cash games. To overcome the fear of playing against better players with more $ involved, you have to mix in a few tournaments where buy-in exceeds your limits. Say, if you normally play 20 tournaments a week, make sure you play 3-4 tournaments above your level. Don't take it to the extreme, of course. I wouldn't, for instance spend $163 in tournament fee if my bankroll was $500.

Edit: Now I realize, that I just posted a worse copy of swede's post [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For you people who are over-rolled for the tournaments you currently play, I understand because I'm somewhat off a bankroll nit as well, though I play slightly higher (mostly $50-$150 mtt's and the occasional Sunday major).

Here's some advice though. Keep on playing the tournaments you feel comfortable playing and stay out of my way! No seriously, keep playing them but occasionally (occasionally meaning like 1-2 out of every 10 played) take a shot at tournament that's just above your comfort zone. Once you get a better feel for them and gain confidence you can slowly increase the number you play and before you know it, you'll be playing those exclusively.

If things don't go so well, or you feel like you're not playing well enough, you can always move back down, and keep improving until you feel ready to start taking shots again.

You will be facing tougher competition the higher you play, but at the same time it will undoubtedly make you a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede...well put...trying that now...mostly playing in my comfort zone but ranging out here and there...actually trying the Stars PCA step qualifiers and as I get higher (at level 4 now $215) I expect to get some practice vs better compeition