Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: J.Brown Fall Log--in the zone

[ QUOTE ]
Questioning the failed 14th rep in her 3rd attempt:

[ QUOTE ]
It was her shoulders and midsection that became unsteady causing bar movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres' my opinion from watching that video.

It isn't her shoulders although they are at risk because her fatigue may be so great that her judgment is lacking if she needs to dump backwards. Yes they are fatigued-- but I think you are misunderstanding the source of risk to her shoulders.

It is her obliques that are becoming less and less capable of the required micro corrections needed to keep the bar "in the slot." That is why she is shaking. Notice that she runs into the same problem in her successful attempt before 14 and 15 and after 15. She stands and trembles and she searches for the place where the bar wants to be both before the reps and then afterwards, when all she has to do is dump the bar. She's done, but needs to collect herself to dump, when two reps previously, you may have thought that she had to dump. The risky thing there, isn't that shoulders may fail-- but rather how you will react if they, or more likely your abs, do. She is a virtuoso of that lift, and a pretty good bet when assuming that additional risk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'm probably not coming off as clearly as I would like. It doesn't matter to me (as far as what my original fear was) what was failing and causing the bar to shake. I'm not saying there's risk to the shoulder or anything like that. What I'm saying is that the bar shaking at the bottom of a squat is dangerous for the lower back, regardless of why it's shaking. It's hard to make a correction down there without rounding the lower back or doing something funky.

EDIT: also, does anyone know why they call her an "elite athlete"? Is she an olympian or something? pro volleyball?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: J.Brown Fall Log--in the zone

[ QUOTE ]
What I'm saying is that the bar shaking at the bottom of a squat is dangerous for the lower back, regardless of why it's shaking. It's hard to make a correction down there without rounding the lower back or doing something funky.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're going to have to disagree. I don't think you are on the right track at all.

As for "elite athlete." I take it as a bit of their way/self-hype that they founder is referred to consistently as "coach" and their trainers and trainees "athletes." She may have been D1 or something, but I don't know that she competes in anything presently. And they are "elite" in the sense that they have levels of fitness along their own metrics and among their own population of fitness buffs that is spectacular.