Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Dealing with LAG at stars $25 NL

This isn't really a specific hand. more of a general question.

Villians stats: VPIP 56% PF Raise 40%, AF 4.67

I have seen him reraise a standard raise to $5 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], i have also seen him raise and push vs an $11 stack with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

He sometimes checks his good hands and bad hands alike, and because of this i can never put him really on any hand, good or bad.

This kind of player really frustrates me. I suppose i can just push against him preflop, but assuming i have 1 pair on the flop do i play against this guy on the flop, turn, river etc. If i bet for value, he may raise me as a total bluff, or he might raise because he hit some kind of concealed hand. If i check for pot control, and he bets large on the river, i will never know if he hit or not.

I'm really frustrated so i'm wondering if someone can help me with a strategy so i won't always be all in with the worst of it or fold the best hand vs this guy.

thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Dealing with LAG at stars $25 NL

you have to felt hands against him pretty light. sometimes 2nd pair and worse hands.

You are going to want to avoid raising him postflop, except to protect your stronger hands. Dont try and push him off hands, just be patient. Play nearly ATC in position against him.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:44 AM

Some 'Lags' will just bluff off their entire stack frequently, against those you can just play a waiting game, but ...

He actually sounds good, only the label 25NL says otherwise.

If he is decent, then I'd say find another table if he has position on you ... and if you have position, then you just have to play poker and outplay him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway against gamblers you usually have to gamble or they just run you over.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 AM

If you have position on him and feel like trying to learn to play against this type of villain (instead of just changing tables), 3bet PF, call sometimes and float/raise flop sometimes. If OOP, change tables, or at least change seats if you get a chance.

If you have one pair against this guy and he is any good, be careful, b/c the point of being a LAG is so when they get a great hand and you have a decent hand, you'll decide it's finally time to take a stand, and then stack off to them.