Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Default TV Program on Cults

Watched a show on Cults last night, I think it was from the Decoding the Past series of shows.

Anyway, it seems to me that the militant Islamists may be the world largest and most dangerous "CULT"

Most cults have some origin in religion, (most religions have an origin as a cult too)and as the show stated, Christianity was a "CULT" at its origin breaking off from the teachings of Judeaism and meeting resistance from the Cultural and religious leaders of the time.

One thing the show mentioned is that a cult must have a "Guru"...most cults end with the demise of thier Guru (jones, koresh, manson, etc) But i guess the question is do the millions of Violent Islamists consider Mohammed still as the GURU of the Cult. (I know they themselves dont consider themselves as a cult) Just wanted some thoughts on the subject.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: TV Program on Cults

Oh ya just go out and persecute Islam. It's a cult after all. Etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh ya just go out and persecute Islam. It's a cult after all. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going after all of Islam....but the scenes on TV of tens of thousands in a crowd all chanting death to America does seem a bit cultish ,Does it not?

The indoctrination of children thru the school system and cartoons is rather cultish. Ever see the videos of the kids reciting the quran rocking back and forth like they are in a trance? Chilling.

Jim Jones forced a mass suicide...is there no similarity to sending out suicide bombers? Manson ordered others to murder...doesnt bin laden do the same?

I think the Christian "serpent handlers" are very cult like, but the difference is the number of them is much smaller, and they dont hijack airplanes.

I know all of islam is not violent, but there is a decent percentage of them. and when you draw from a pool of a billion people, even ten percent is a huge number of people.

This is by no means saying other religions in history have not killed in mass...I know they have. But I live today and if there is another terrorist attack on my country, what are the odds it would be by a Muslim extremist?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live today and if there is another terrorist attack on my country, what are the odds it would be by a Muslim extremist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you live in the US, I'm going with 85%....prop bet? I'll take either side...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 PM

I was thinking 90% so I will lay the 85 against your 15. PayPal OK?