Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Default awkward stack sizes -- 2/4 nl 800

villain seems ok. his vip is 42 oop. only raises 8% oop. has shown a few checkraises oop on the flop and one on the turn.

here's the hand:
2/4 nl
effective stacks 700

i raise 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. he calls.

flop (24)
8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
he checks. i bet 16. he calls.

turn (56)
k[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
he checks. i bet 40. he raises to 120 with 550 behind. push now or call and wait? raise to 240 to leave a psb behind?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: awkward stack sizes -- 2/4 nl 800

I think any hand K's up or better is getting their money in reguardless of what line you take, so I feel you can basiclly ignore this part of his range.

I feel a floped combo draw is a less likely part of his range as he would most likely want to C/R the flop, but a hand like K7 or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is now somthing to concider. Rounding out his range I'd ad random 2 pair hands (waiting for a safe turn) and big naked K's (ak,kq,kj) But I would guess he would most likely 3bet ak preflop. I don't think he ever shows up with complete air here, but 7x or X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would also be reasonable holdings.

I think a shove probably gets a call from K7 and K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] probably but less likely the random 2 pair hands, probably folds the Big K's and naked flush/straight draws
I think a min raise gets a call/shove from K7 and K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] the random 2 pair hands the big K's either fold or call and check fold the river and the naked flush/straight draws would call/shove turn

I think the decision comes down to his bluff frequency on the river, I think you have to shove unless he is likely to raise turn or fire river with his weaker holdings. A lot of river cards also might kill your action. Without a strong read I shove here
Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 PM

bleh.

only one c/r on the turn...wow, so he must have something nice...but it's prob only a one pair hand, doubtful he has a flush draw to go with it...he'd prob c/r the flop with a flush draw, hopefully...and we have diamonds, so it's a little less likely he does.

that being said, i think since he is so tight we need to call here and pray for brickerdom so we can get him to stack off. i really can't see him calling any kind of raise on this turn with his hand...two pair, maybe...like K6? K8?

it's a tough spot, decision wise...the main reason i'd raise turn is just in case we do think he'll call a raise/stack off now, but not on one of the many scary rivers...but if you think he can stack off a blank riv...i'd go for that line...and hell, maybe even stack off to a diamond...he doesn't have to put you on diamonds here if you just call.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 PM

i dont see how this is not a ridiculously easy push ?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:36 PM

i doubt he has a lone king. most tightish/decent players OOP will not raise this turn. even if he has a QKish hand, if he decides to raise, he coudl easily talk himself into calling a push here on this board.

I don't see why he'd ever take a raise/fold here line besides a bluff (seems unlikely), but I can see him checking a ton of rivers.

any two pair hand with a king seems possible or even a flopped two pair/lower str8/same hand.

maybe im weighting his range too heavily towards bigger hands but given the description, in my experience vs. an aggro (which i believe u are) they arent raise foldign a real hand here.

correct me if im wrong
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont see how this is not a ridiculously easy push ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is discussing the best way to extract value. I'm not sure pushing is best.

One thing is for sure, if hero bet closer to the pot on the flop, it would make this a much easier shove on the turn. This is also why I advocate 3.5 - 4xBB raises pre-flop especially against passive opponents who fold to a lot of cbets.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 PM

i know. andi think pushing is obviously the way for max value.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can even fold minimum set for a push over a $120 bet with $550 behind.

I'm not opposed to C/R a blank river. C/C a scary river (including a diamond).
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can even fold minimum set for a push over a $120 bet with $550 behind.

I'm not opposed to C/R a blank river. C/C a scary river (including a diamond).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think hero's range is that narrow at all. He could easily be shoving a combo-draw and possibly 2 pair. Unless hero is super tight/nitty which I don't think he is, I would immagine most villains are calling all sets along with most 2pair hands
Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM

yea, i just push that now. you could rr to like 320, but the problem with a raise to 320 is that he'll know youre not just on a FD. also, if the river brings the four card straight, he will fold his set and you wont get all his cash.
pushing here (the turn) will give him the chance of convincing himself that youre on the nut FD (assuming he isnt) or a big combo draw and he might be willing to call you with his set.