Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Making the choice to quit my job - please help

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...e=0#Post9706079

Here is the main thread I started today.....sorry for the X-post but this started as mainly a MMB post. I used to post in OOT a lot a long time ago and would really appreciate any suggestions, questions or comments from this forum as there is more traffic here. I havent read the OOT sticky rules in a long time so if they have changed and this is not OK please let me know or lock this thread.

Thank you
Richard
Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Making the choice to quit my job - please help

If you need an investor or an employee PM me, this sounds like something that is right up my alley, and pretty cool. Can you expand on the business a little, and how you got into it? job suggestions: are you proficient with computers? There are tons of people that need virus/spyware protection, hardware replacement, etc, that after a little word of mouth can keep you busy a few hours a day, makign 50 or 60$ an hour.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Making the choice to quit my job - please help

Basically what I do is locate people for banks or other interested parties. Im certified to use a bunch of private databases that gives me a wealth of information on people. I then basically just need to make verifiable contact with my subject so that the bank can know where to send the process server....then Im paid a fee based on what new info I provided them.

Basically as long as I have a social security number, the legal authority to search for them (from the bank usually), and am compensated enough for the time it will take to do it...I can locate anyone in the US. Ive done this for 6 years and I am quite good at getting information out of people and using technology to do things that 20 years ago nvestigators couldnt do.

Its a really exciting job, whats hard now is just trying to decide "immediately" as to whether I should go head first into this. With the contract I landed I will have a quota for the amount of work I do for them in a month....that quota exceeds the time I will have outside my day job to do it in. For the most part Im just like any other employee except I work from my home and file taxes differently.

The issue when I tried to get this going before was getting customers. I can find customers, it just takes time to get the marketing going....time I dont have while working full time. Now that I have this contract I can work unlimited hours when I want to and still be able to find other clients that will pay me more. Its kinda like having a boss that you never have to see and rarely talk to.

I know what most of you are thinking...it does sound cool, it is an awesome opportunity that I will probably never be able to get again. The only problem is that Im at a crossroads...I'd have to drop my career for this, and it would take a long time to get back to where I was (money-wise) if this doesnt work out for some reason.

Im sure I can find work to stay busy...and Im considering getting a part time job just to make the transition not so rough...but again....the boss wants a decision "immediately"

What I really need is time that I dont have....

Please give me some suggestions OOT...