Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-23-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Weird folds in stud8

I played an $8/16 table of stud8 where I felt several of my opponents played a very strange game, making folds at late stages in hands where I feel a fold is pretty stupid. So I'm going to ask you what you think of these folds in a couple of hands, and what you think they have. Are they sharks that understand this game at a higher level than me, or are they some kind of weak fish?

Hand 1: What is happening here???

7 Card Stud High-Low ($8/$16), Ante $1,50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (3.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (7.75 BB - $124)

Hand 2: Here??

7 Card Stud High-Low ($8/$16), Ante $1,50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.31 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (4.56 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.78 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.78 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (6.78 BB - $108,50)
Old 11-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Weird folds in stud8

Wow, can you really not read this hand?
In scenario one, seat one has 5s, 6s, or 7s... its textbook... His opponant pairs 4 and theres a 4 dead. As the hand develeops his opponant develops either a better hand, a better draw, and / or both. Auto bets and fold here... If you can't see this, you shouldn't be playing stud 8... moving on to hand 2...

This hand, they are hoping you are just an aggro betting station and are agressing the pot with a low hand that is bricking, seat 7 is chasing, and seat 3 was hoping his hand was good. By 6th, they finally are served with proof that they are drawing awful and have to fold... A lot of players will raise any A in stud 8 so its often custom for bad players to call the A down "just in case" because they dont know any better... I dont even get what the question is here....
Old 11-23-2007, 01:52 PM

First hand doesn't make any sense to me either. I don't really think that pocket Sixes or Sevens make any sense. I wouldn't play them that way, and I wouldn't expect most others to play them that way. Seat 1 can hardly be playing his strong board. I wouldn't be doing all of that raising without a strong hand, and I wouldn't fold a strong hand for one bet on sixth street with all that money out there.

On the second hand, you've made very obvious and very significant improvement, from apparent Aces to apparent trips. Aces are easy to suck out on. Trip Aces are a lot harder to suck out on.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First hand doesn't make any sense to me either. I don't really think that pocket Sixes or Sevens make any sense. I wouldn't play them that way, and I wouldn't expect most others to play them that way. Seat 1 can hardly be playing his strong board. I wouldn't be doing all of that raising without a strong hand, and I wouldn't fold a strong hand for one bet on sixth street with all that money out there.

On the second hand, you've made very obvious and very significant improvement, from apparent Aces to apparent trips. Aces are easy to suck out on. Trip Aces are a lot harder to suck out on.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, these two posts show why playing Stud 8 is so profitable...
Old 11-23-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In scenario one, seat one has 5s, 6s, or 7s... its textbook... His opponant pairs 4 and theres a 4 dead. As the hand develeops his opponant develops either a better hand, a better draw, and / or both. Auto bets and fold here... If you can't see this, you shouldn't be playing stud 8... moving on to hand 2...

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you really think it's the right play to play a small pair this aggressive? I mean, if seat 7 has like A5 down or something I would much rather be seat 7 than seat 1 with (66)4J.

Also, tone your arrogance the [censored] down. You are massively annoying.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you really think it's the right play to play a small pair this aggressive? I mean, if seat 7 has like A5 down or something I would much rather be seat 7 than seat 1 with (66)4J.

Also, tone your arrogance the [censored] down. You are massively annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are agreeing with me, I'm saying seat 7 has by far the best hand on 5th, which is why the other player has to fold. If opponant has 77 66 or 55 then he is ahead on 4th, but its only a small margin. A lot of players bang this hand because if 7 hits a brick then its an easy take down. If 7 hits though, it depends on the card. An A is an autofold in this spot.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:31 PM

In the first hand, it sure looks to me like the villain has a hand like (KK)4 or (JJ)4 -- (QQ)4 is a little less likely because a Q is gone. I know some players who are that aggressive with small pairs in the hole, so (55)4 or (66)4 is possible, too.

And when *I* play brick pairs, I *really* don't like it when my opponent catches an ace. And since the other player has bet out twice, on fourth and fifth, with a small pair showing, that ace is really bad news for a brick pair. Maybe it's correct to call down with hidden kings, but I'd be strongly tempted to let the hand go at that point.

In the second hand, two players drawing with weak crap ran into a super high hand. Represented aces turned into represented trip aces. Buh-bye.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 PM

I was thinking (KK)4 in the first hand too. Concealed pairs are awesome against weak opponents who don't see it coming. But the low draw and the ace on 6th lead seat 1 to see the writing on the wall.

I think that (55 through 77) 4 are possible too, but not to an extent that justifies arrogance.

I don't get the guy playing the 9. He saw that he was behind between 1 and 3 streets too late. Do any of you ever ever ever play a 9 in that spot?