Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Judgement Day: ID on Trial (LC)

[ QUOTE ]
Equations are always selected, they are never discovered. In the laboratory the scientist seeks to determine the boiling point of water. Since water hardly ever boils at the same temperature, the scientist conducts a number of tests and the slightly differing results are noted. He then must average them. But what kind of average does he use: mean, mode, or median? He must choose; and whatever kind of average he selects, it is his own choice; it is not dictated by the data. Then too, the average he chooses is just that, that is, it is an average, not the actual datum yielded by the experiment. Once the test results have been averaged, the scientist will calculate the variable error in his readings. He will likely plot the data points or areas on a graph. Then he will draw a curve through the resultant data points or areas on the graph. But how many curves, each one of which describes a different equation, are possible? An infinite number of curves is possible. But the scientist draws only one. What is the probability of the scientist choosing the correct curve out of an infinite number of possibilities? The chance is one over infinity, or zero. Therefore, all scientific laws are false. They cannot possibly be true.

[/ QUOTE ]
Methinks someone needs a basic lesson in statistics.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM

it boggles the mind that even Splendour thinks this article is meaningful.

By the way, Splendour... he states, "Truth is found in the Scriptures alone; the Bible has a monopoly on truth."

He states this as if it is a fact. Where has this been proven? Am I crazy to believe that even you can see why he blows all credibility by attempting to make a rational argument and then writing a statement that has not even remotely been proven factual?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM

I guess it's enlightening if you're hard up to be enlightened. To me, it's little more than propaganda (I'm referring to the the article by Gary Clampton).

Science is not about finding truths. It's about developing theories on how the physical universe works. Science doesn't seek to prove. It seeks to disprove through rigorous attempts to falisfy the very theory that is put forth!

FYI - Not only has evolution withstood over a hundred years of attempts at falsification, the theory itself has become even STRONGER as new information has become available. Information that Darwin couldn't have even dreamed about when he first formulated his theory!!! I'm referring of course, to advances in molecular biology.

As I've went over countless times with NR, evolution only relates to god insofar as it quashes a believer's antiquated views about his god. Otherwise, it has nothing whatsoever to do with god or religion.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Lestat,

you have the greatest avatar i've ever seen
Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Why did you pick Donald Rumsfeld as your avatar Lestat?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you pick Donald Rumsfeld as your avatar Lestat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought it was funny. Nothing profound or anything.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Thought you were a Bush fan or a hardcore Republican. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thought you were a Bush fan or a hardcore Republican. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you notice Rumsfeld is rolling a joint?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you notice Rumsfeld is rolling a joint?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't sure if it was a joint or regular tobacco cigarette. Some old timers roll their own cigarettes.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are my tax dollars after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most important aspect of this discussion, since as Lestat tried to point out, there in fact is no dissent or division in the scientific community about evolution.