Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Default 100 buyin brm... your thoughts

Saw the last cr vid from Gaucho yesterday and he was saying a often how improtant it is to have atleast 100 buyins for every limit you play.
What do you think of it?
Is this also a "must be" for you?
I mean if you play poker as a hobby ok... but what brm to you prefer if you play for a living also 100 buyins?

I really felt like this brm is very conservative but sure 10-30 buyin swings can really happen...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: 100 buyin brm... your thoughts

100 buyins would cost you a lot of money. If you are beating the current level for a good clip you should be taking small shots with 20-30 buyins for the next level. As long as you are fine with moving down if it doesn't go well there is no reason not to be playing the highest level you have an edge in.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw the last cr vid from Gaucho yesterday and he was saying a often how improtant it is to have atleast 100 buyins for every limit you play.
What do you think of it?
Is this also a "must be" for you?
I mean if you play poker as a hobby ok... but what brm to you prefer if you play for a living also 100 buyins?

I really felt like this brm is very conservative but sure 10-30 buyin swings can really happen...

[/ QUOTE ]100 is pretty nitty by most people's standards, but I think about 30-50 is standard. All depends on your risk tolerance. You can have a 10 buyin roll if you want to.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM

I think 50 is good, but i have lots of 15 bi swings and so if u only ever had 30 and lost 15, well then i only have 15 left
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM

100 BI is a good proposition if you are playing for a living. Otherwise 25 BIs should be enough if you move down when necessary.
I like to have at least 100BIs for the stakes I play personally.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:31 PM

i agree 100+ especially at 5/10+. yea standard variance isnt necessary for that, but there DO exist LONG stretches where you play bad and will lose a lot. if you think those stretches dont exist, you are either naive or amazing.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM

the kelly criterion suggests that the bankroll strategy that maximizes bankroll growth balances somewhere around the point where you will usually not have to move down, but every once in a while will. If you are playing so overrolled that you can drop 20 buyins and not move down, you probably should be playing higher to maximize your br growth, because if you have an edge in the game, that 20 BI downswing gets canceled out by a 25 BI upswing.

the flip side is that it is nearly impossible to estimate this with any precision because of inexact and underdetermined winrates, winrates varying due to opponents with different skills, and TILT.

playing on 100 BI means you have so much leeway that tilt should be a non issue. which may outweigh any theoretical long term gains from moving up sooner.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Play with however many buy-ins you want, just be prepared to move down faster if you play with less. Personally I think people are crazy who lose 20+ buy-ins at a single limit without moving down. And if you're not gonna let yourself lose that many buy-ins before moving down, why have such a ridiculously huge roll in the first place?

I prefer playing with a shorter roll. First I think it makes me play a little better since the stakes matter more, and second if I'm on a big downswing, I'm probably better off moving down for a while anyways.

I also cash out frequently and don't really consider that part of my "bankroll" per se. I play for a living, and therefore I think I need a big cushion for living expenses, etc. If online poker died tomorrow, I could live for probably 2-3+ years without significantly altering my lifestyle with no income, even if my online money was unavailable. This is important to me, and for that reason I don't think of my offline money as bankroll. I'd rather move way down than redeposit - and if that happened there's probably a reason I lost that much money in the first place that redepositing wouldn't fix.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree 100+ especially at 5/10+. yea standard variance isnt necessary for that, but there DO exist LONG stretches where you play bad and will lose a lot. if you think those stretches dont exist, you are either naive or amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the stretches you should move down for imo.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM

i did move down for mine, so i guess you do have a point.