Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 08-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Default How do you remember everything? (swing questions)

I dont know if this is a really really stupid question, but Im having trouble with it. I just bought a lob wedge, and LOVE it, I can actually chip with the damn thing. With my pitching wedge I always got nervous that I was going to hit teh ball way to far "swinging through the ball" like everyone tells me, but I got passed w/ my lob wedge for some reason, and I can swing as hard as I can and the thing will only go 60 yards, which for some reason helps me out in figuring out chipping/pitching. Anyways, Im trying to figure out yardages in regards to what club Im using, and how far around my swing comes. Do you guys write this stuff down or what?

ie- half swing- lob wedge- 30 yards
half swing- choke down - lob wedge - 20 yards
pitching wedge- full swing - 130
etc

or does this just come naturally with play?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: How do you remember everything? (swing questions)

Just comes naturally with play.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just comes naturally with play.

[/ QUOTE ]

would it be counter productive to take a notebook and paper to the driving range and try to figure how much swing etc, makes the ball go X yards?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM

guids,

Bitcho is right. There's no point writing it down because it's a touch/feel thing, PARTICULARLY with less than full shots. When I'm practicing/playing a lot I just know the swing I need to hit an e.g. 70 yard L-wedge shot (roughly 70% of its full distance).

It's worth mentioning that these half wedges are the absolute devil to most high handicappers. They can't figure out how much to take off, hit it fat, thin, etc., and most don't invest the time or effort to get better.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Bitcho is right. There's no point writing it down because it's a touch/feel thing, PARTICULARLY with less than full shots. When I'm practicing/playing a lot I just know the swing I need to hit an e.g. 70 yard L-wedge shot (roughly 70% of its full distance).

It's worth mentioning that these half wedges are the absolute devil to most high handicappers. They can't figure out how much to take off, hit it fat, thin, etc., and most don't invest the time or effort to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is like saying PokerTracker isn't useful because you can just remember important hands in your head.

There's nothing at all wrong with being somewhat scientific about the short game and writing down your yardages. I'm a firm believer in Pelz's system, and he openly encourages it (since he teaches you to have 3 wedges each with 4 distances that you consistently hit them...so you have to remember 12! yardages)...he suggests taping them to the underside of the shaft so you won't see them at address, but can readily see them for reference.

Of course, in time, you'll just remember them...and, also, going about the short game THIS way, lets you learn 'feel' so much faster because 'feel' is the hardest thing to learn...so why not help yourself?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there somewhere I can look to see how far I should probably be hitting my clubs? I think I was only hitting my lob wedge (60*) about 60 to 70 at most, this was at the range, down hill about 5 feet. I have a lob, and a pitching wedge, my pitching wedge I can full swing about 125ish, do I need something for in between, or should I work out how much swing is needed for the P/L firsT?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there somewhere I can look to see how far I should probably be hitting my clubs? I think I was only hitting my lob wedge (60*) about 60 to 70 at most, this was at the range, down hill about 5 feet. I have a lob, and a pitching wedge, my pitching wedge I can full swing about 125ish, do I need something for in between, or should I work out how much swing is needed for the P/L firsT?

[/ QUOTE ]

This entirely depends on whether you NEED something for that distance. Personally, I carry 4 wedges. As a very long hitter, I find it easier to score from <150 with multiple wedges.

For ex)
I have a 48 PW, a 51 Gap wedge, a 56 SW and a 60LW (considering an XW at some point, we'll see). Full swings are 150, 125, 110, and 100, but with the variety of non-full swings, I can be anywhere inside of 150 and have lots of shot options...and that's what's really important: OPTIONS.

So, if you can play fine without filling the gap, then you don't necessarily 'need' to fill it...but I strongly suggest you have 3 wedges minimum.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM

black knight,

Your comparison to poker tracker is ridiculous. Let's just say I wasn't shocked to see you come up with something like that, lol.

And what does Pelz suggest for when you are outside of those 12! yardages?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Kind of an aside from the question, but you're likely doing yourself a disservice by chipping with a lob wedge.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This distance calculator might interest you.