Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Default hu sng ~ handling aggresiv/dominating villians

hi,

till now i was most of the time the most aggresiv and dominating player in the hu sng's i played.
But from time to time there are player that play more aggresiv then me.
They cbet and steal every pot. (mostly ip)
And when i am stealing ip on the flop i most of the time i get called.
Till now i just let them steal the small pots and try to get it in with the better hand in big pots but i think this isn't 100% the best way to play.

I think it is really improtant to be the most aggresiv player at the table. ( you should atleat don't get pushed around all the time)

But how you do it?

a few options to play back at aggressiv players would be:
<font color="blue">
- cr light oop maybe also often ass a bluff on a T44r like board (i generally don't like it because to play oop just sucks and a cr make the pot just bigger but if you only cr good hands you won't get paid off often...)

- if he calls you cbets light 2nd barrel
but how is it in hu sng's? are scarecards (like in nlh sh) often important for a 2nd barrel or isn't it very important because it's hu and villian can have a huge range of hands?

- just don't play back at very aggresiv villians and give nearly every pot oop up and also giv e the pot ip afte a calle cbet up if you don't have much of a hand

- just become even more passiv (also w/ madehands) and play very often c/c with made hands to let aggresiv villians bluff away there chips </font>

how do you handle situations like this?
which lines are the best and why? which lines to you prefer?

ps: i think agaisnt very good aggresiv players every line oft the written is improtant becasue you should definitly mix up your game to make it hard for villian to read you
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: hu sng ~ handling aggresiv/dominating villians

In position I'd say do alot more 2barrelling. OOP You might try trapping him more often. If he 2barrels alot you can call flop, c/r turn with good hands to get extra value. Not my favorite line but it works against those types if he is predictable enough.

Usually with these guys you really just have to rely on collecting alot of chips when you have a hand since they are stealing lots of small ones. You can try giving him resistance in a few small pots to see what he does. Some people only have 1 level of aggression as I like to call it, and they play very tight against your c/r or whatever.

Others are more stubborn and will float the hell out of you. Against those guys you are probably best off waiting for hands and trying to get alot of value from them.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM

ok thx for your feedback =)
Old 10-27-2007, 03:22 PM

sticky too, pls?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:11 PM

This is a good idea for a thread. I agree that I am usually the most aggressive player, but when I have to play against someone like me, I only try to think about what my own problems are and see if there is anything I can use against them.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:53 PM

I try to not get into pots that I'll have to give up on turn or river. This means tight play oop both preflop and on the flop. Simply avoid weak hands with few outs. Give up early. I also tend to check call hands that I want to play but not for my entire stack, like tpwk and let him bluff.

Plan the hand and mind the stack sizes when being aggressive with draws. It is important that you make a move with fold equity and not him. for instance, if you checkraise the flop with a draw 100BB deep and villain re-reraises you're in a bad spot since there is no fold equity and you'll have to give up. If you bet in and get raised on the other hand, you have the possiblility of making the commiting raise.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to not get into pots that I'll have to give up on turn or river. This means tight play oop both preflop and on the flop. Simply avoid weak hands with few outs. Give up early. I also tend to check call hands that I want to play but not for my entire stack, like tpwk and let him bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the kind of player I feel like I am guaranteed to win against.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]this is the kind of player I feel like I am guaranteed to win against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I make lots of super-thin value bets, so these players catch me fairly frequently for medium-sized pots (and lose a lot of medium sized pots if they're deciding to call down *too* loosely), but I think most of the really big ones get pushed my way.

"Waiting for a hand" only works if you actually catch a good one, and if your opponent doesn't catch better at the same time, and if you play ultra-tight, you're basically giving them a freeroll the times you do have a playable hand.