Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Recent Hackings and Neteller Downsizing

I think it's been mentioned here before by others, but I know from personal experience that some Neteller Reps can see your password there. Those of you that had poker accounts hacked - did any of you use the same password on the poker site as your Neteller account? Anyone at Neteller who had access to see these passwords had access to any other personal info needed to "verify" your ID, plus knowledge of users who transfered lots of money. The recent layoffs there could have easily pushed a less-than-ethical ex-employee to theft.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Recent Hackings and Neteller Downsizing

In before 4500 page thread, or lock.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's been mentioned here before by others, but I know from personal experience that some Neteller Reps can see your password there. Those of you that had poker accounts hacked - did any of you use the same password on the poker site as your Neteller account? Anyone at Neteller who had access to see these passwords had access to any other personal info needed to "verify" your ID, plus knowledge of users who transfered lots of money. The recent layoffs there could have easily pushed a less-than-ethical ex-employee to theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know this and why only "some" NT reps can see your password?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know this and why only "some" NT reps can see your password?

[/ QUOTE ]

About a year and a half ago, I had my Neteller account temporarily suspended because I tried to access it from Budapest, Hungary. When I came back to the US, I called them to get it reactivated.

While I was on the phone, I had forgotten my password. As an example, let's say my password was: Tw0Plu$Tw0 The guy on the phone said that "it looks like two plus two" - proving that he was able to see my password. I changed it afterwards, and since I never use the same password twice, I wasn't too concerned.

I remember a big thread awhile back where someone pointed out this same thing about Neteller. In it, he said that Neteller admitted that some reps did could see the user's password (but not the Secure ID number).

Since many people make the mistake of using the same password on different sites, it's not unrealistic to think that this could be the cause of some hacked poker accounts.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM

interesting
Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM

When you forget your password, they resend you it in plaintext. It isn't stored hashed. This is criminally stupid. It's fair to assume that anyone at Neteller can read it, along with anyone else interested enough.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you forget your password, they resend you it in plaintext. It isn't stored hashed. This is criminally stupid. It's fair to assume that anyone at Neteller can read it, along with anyone else interested enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all became clear to me at some point maybe a year ago when I could not log in to my account no matter what I did. My password was in the form of mixed alphanumeric and numbers, all lower case. I did the password send feature and behold, somehow my password had changed to mixed alphanumeric and numbers ALL UPPER CASE.

Same password. Just different alpha case. Something I never do anywhere. Not a change I made. WtF?

It's kind of funny what a huge business folks built out of such vacuousness. Success in spite of themselves I guess. Well, until recently anyways..